Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hot sauce recipes

Posted by kerryv none (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 15:25

Hello! I'm getting ready to order seeds and get some started soon, and wanted to see if anyone has any good recipes for hot sauce. I have tried the ball and it is too sweet. I would like something more similar to franks red hot.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hot sauce recipes

Have no idea what Frank's is but I assume you are talking about ordering hot peppers seeds, peppers that can be made into sauce, correct? Looking for a fermented pepper sauce or a hot pepper flavored vinegar sauce?

Linked several previous discussions including recipes below. Then there are the recipes at NCHFP like Cayenne pepper Sauce and Pickled Hot Peppers which many can and then puree and strain after opening for a good fridge-stored sauce..

There are also lots of recipes available over on the Hot Pepper forum here but not all of them can be safely canned for shelf storage. They are fridge storage only.

Which Ball recipe did you use since there are several of them?

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Hot pepper sauce discussions

o

OMG, digdirt, Franks is soooooo good. When I make hot wings sauce, I grab Franks! It's similar to Louisiana Hot Sauce. I'm pretty sure those two are a fermented cayenne pepper sauce then whirred up with some vinegar. When I looked at my Lousiana hot sauce it only says "red peppers" but when I looked up Franks online it said it's a cayenne pepper sauce.

o

FWIW, according to Wikipedia, they use cayenne peppers.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't read carefully. Apparently its a *variety* of cayenne peppers and doesn't name names.

Here is a link that might be useful: Frank's hot sauce

This post was edited by seasyde on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 12:11

o

This is the hot sauce recipe I used this year. I used a large variety of hot peppers from my garden- not just the peppers called for- and I also didn't strain it once the three months were up. The sauce tastes AMAZING, and we've been eating it on everything. (And also learned that I did not make near enough.) I learned that the straining is a personal preference- I like the texture of the unstrained sauce.

I don't know about canning it at all. It's hot sauce, so it really doesn't go bad. I put it in small canning jars and tucked the jars away in our extra fridge.

Basic Hot Sauce

3 cups of distilled white vinegar
2 lbs of cayenne/jalapenos seeded and chopped
2 teaspoons of salt

Start by simmering vinegar, salt as well as peppers not less than 5 minutes, afterward process the mix in a blender. Afterwards, preserve sauce in a glass bottle and then place it in a dark cabinet. Allow this to age not less than three months. Strain it once it’s ready to use.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here