Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mellyofthesouth

Using sauerkraut

mellyofthesouth
12 years ago

Ok, so I've made all this sauerkraut and it is in the fridge waiting to be used. I like the idea of eating it raw so that the beneficial bacteria aren't killed off. Other than eating it plain (which gets a little boring) do you have any other recipes you use it for. I'm thinking of experimenting with a sauerkraut salad with grated carrots and maybe some raisins and a little bit of dressing.

We do eat it with sausage sometimes but I'm trying to cut down on the processed foods we eat.

Comments (10)

• eahamel
    12 years ago

I add some to salads and mix it in. You can add it to your taste.

I also make soft tacos and will put a little in a soft tortilla with some grated carrots and bean sprouts some grated cheese, and maybe a little taco seasoning (from Penzey's, a great spice store). Nothing else. Warm just a little in the microwave.

• olga_6b
    12 years ago

My fermented cabbage always already has carrots (East European style). You can add some minced onions, olive oil and a pinch of brown sugar (or raw sugar). Mix let stay for at least 30 min. It is very good. Some people add sliced apple or minced red bell pepper. Any greens like parsley, terragon, basil, cilantro also can be added. But onions, vegetable oil and a pinch of sugar are the things that bind it all together.
    Olga

• John__ShowMe__USA
    12 years ago

I make many green garden salads each week. They almost always have carrots,walnuts, onions, tomatoes, blueberries, cheese, kraut and kefir in them. I try to buy only organic USA or Canadian-grown produce and it gets difficult to find this time of year. Was so happy that canning whole cherry tomatoes last fall turned out so well. This years tomato garden will be mostly small cherry, grape and plum types. Blueberries I buy in season and freeze them single layer on a cookie sheet before spraying a couple coats of water on them.

Sauerkraut burritos have turned out very well with many different ingredient combinations. I try to eat oily fish several times a week (I know it's processed) and King Oscar or Polar brand herring or sardines go well with the kraut, onions and cheese.

Started a 2 gal jar of red cabbage kraut this week with more water added than usual. It was bubbling gangbusters in less than 24 hours. Plans are to save all the excess brine to use for storing baby carrots, as a salad topping etc. I might freeze some in pint jars (haven't broken one yet) to use as starters.

• mellyofthesouth
    Original Author
    12 years ago

After I posted I was driving to pick up the girls and suddenly I thought I bet John will say he uses it in burritos. I have some leftover beans in the freezer and some cilantro from the CSA. Sounds like lunch to me.

Funny thing being in Florida is winter is a better growing season. Our CSA goes from Nov to April. We are putting a garden for the summer but we are a bit behind since we are past our last frost date.

• mellyofthesouth
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Btw, I don't think processed fish is really not in the same category as sausage... More preserved than processed don't you think?

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

#1 - Grilled Ruben sandwiches with corned beef and swiss cheese and 1000 Island dressing!!! Mixed with fried apples, mix with scalloped potatoes and ham casserole. On hot dogs Chicago style.

Dave

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

With a bit of pulled pork, sauerkraut makes very good stuffing for fried spring rolls.

• gardengrl
    12 years ago

For me, nothing beats a really good, grilled hot dog or sausage on a bun with homemade sauerkraut. Yum, yum!

• James McNulty
    11 years ago

Since there are only the two of us, I make what I can in a one gallon ice tea bottle with enough room left at the top for a one gallon freezer bag filled with some water. Use an iced tea bottle WITHOUT the bottom drain as it would be impossible to clean between uses.
    This mean I will use a small head of cabbage, one medium red beet, and one large or up to 3 smaller carrots. This amount will fill my ice tea jar up to about 3/4 full (after pressing down with 1 teaspoon of salt and repressing and compacting 30 minutes later with a potato masher). If it has not developed enough moisture, I add a little spring water that I have heated in a cup with some additional salt, heated in the microwave to dissolve, and permitted to cool (actually my first step. If I don't need it at the end, I throw it out but I don't want to add it hot).
    I then add my freezer bag to act as a "plug" and to restrict air to the top of my pickling vegetables so I don't get the "smelly moldy stuff on top".
    Put the jar into a cardboard box or fabric bag sufficiently opaque to make a dark environment, and let the mix slowly bubble away.
    The last batch it was pretty cool in the house and I let it go to 10 days before putting it into a large jar and into the refrigerator. I checked at that time and the vegetables had no more hundreds of tiny bubbles that were previously visible through the sides of the jar.
    I start a new batch when I think the old one will be gone in a week.
    We have been enjoying it in little dishes without any added ingredients. It has a pleasant bite to the mouth and the red beet makes the entire contents look like you have used red cabbage (you can still see the orange carrots if you look closely but I grate them fine in the food processor).
    Now that I see how creative all the other folks have been in serving their fresh pickled vegetables, I will have to do so likewise. Thanks for the alternative suggestions.
    Jim in So Calif