Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chere1

Shellfish stock

chere1
14 years ago

Hello everyone. I am making shellfish stock today out of lots and lots of shrimp, lobster, and crab shells.

I am pressure canning it for 110min. @ 15lb. in pints. Has anyone else canned shellfish stock successfully?

Just wanted some input. I have canned other stocks, but not seafood. Smells and tastes good so far.

Going to make lobster risotto with of the leftover uncanned stock YUMMO!

Thanks

Chere

Comments (15)

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Just curious as to where you found a recipe for this as I have never seen one for shellfish stock. Just seems like a long processing time since it is just liquid.

Never done it but then we don't have the fresh shellfish access you have. ;)

Dave

• chere1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay this was a good idea gone wrong. My pressure canning book had times and such for fish and crab and clams.
    pints 80-110 min @ 10lbs. I made the stock and used the times for the longest cooking fish time to be safe. Well it turned out a burnt brown color. Overprocessed...
    The uncanned stuff tasted and looked excellent. I guess you can't can fish stock. Unless someone has done it before and had success. I just thought to try and make it, since I had so many saved shells.

Any thought would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Chere

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

I feared that would be the end result. Sorry. Fish and seafood have very specific instructions when it comes to canning them safely and "pressure canning" books are far from the best or most reliable source. for canning instructions. Check the instructions in the BBB and at NCHFP for comparison.

A quick review of the 10-12 books I have finds NO approved instructions for canning fish stock - fish and seafood yes, stock, no. Doesn't mean one doesn't exist but it apparently isn't a common practice. Likely it wouldn't shelf store at all well without getting quite stinky I fear. It's is one of the many things best made fresh.

Rack it up to an important lesson learned. ;)

Dave

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

You are right, we don't have a processing time for fish stock. Why not email Elizabeth Andress at the NCHFP at the Univ. of Georgia ?

• jonas302
    14 years ago

Should be freezable though for next though if thats a possibility for you

When I freeze chicken stock I put it in a large size tefalon muffin tin and freeze that then run a little hot water on the bottom to loosen them up dump all those 1 cup size chunks into a foodsaver bag or freezer container

• bejay9_10
    14 years ago

I keep shrimp water - after boiling them for stock, but freeze it. Makes great clamp chowder addy. I usually use a commercial brand of chowder, then add the shrimp water, onions, garlic and some boiled cubed potatoes to thicken and spices as desired.

I lived in Fla awhile ago, and still dream about all those nice fresh fish, crab claws, etc., really miss that.

Bejay

• chere1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks y'all,

I would of frozen it, but we are getting ready to move again. DH navy. And I thought maybe taking some goodness with me, but to no avail. Well live and learn. Sticking with freezing next time. I will email Ms.Andress just for some FYI...

Although the lobster risotto I made with the stock came out YUMMO...

Ciao for now
    Chere

• bejay9_10
    14 years ago

Love that rebellious attitude! (The devil made her do it).

Bejay

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

I would not say it should not be done, just think the processing time may be longer than for chicken stock, just like seafood takes longer than chicken. That is why I suggested she ask Elizabeth Andress. It is just liquid, so I see no reason it can't be safely processed. You know I am not supposed to give you any guessed processing times.

• James McNulty
    14 years ago

Shrimp Stock
    After cooking shrimp or shrimp shells, removing meat for other purposes, reduce stock to 3/4 or 1/2 of original volume. Strain through a sieve to remove coagulated material. Reheat and pack into jars. This stock makes a superior base for seafood souffles and sauces. Hot pack into 1/2 pint jars with 1/2 inch of headspace. Process at 10 pounds under 1000 feet for 30 minutes.

Clam Broth
    As a byproduct of cooked clams, reduce remaining broth to 3/4 or 1/2 of its volume. Pour through a good coffee filter to clarify and remove sediment. Place back on heat and return to heat and when hot, pack in hot 1/2 pint jars. Can be used in boosting the flavor of oyster stew or scalloped oysters which can be a little shy on liquids. It can also be used with all clam dishes.
    Pressure can in 1/2 pint jars. Leave 1/2 inch headroom. Hot pack only. Process at 10 pounds under 1000 feet for 30 minutes, remove jars after canner has properly cooled, and cool jars naturally.

Note: I have made the shrimp and crab shell broth (save the shells in a Foodsaver bag in freezer until you have enough for a batch). It is very rich and is a wonderful addition to Asian soups and stir fries.

This recipe is from a classic but outdated book called "The New Putting Food By" last published in 1982. The authors were R. Hertzburg, B. Vaughan, and J. Green. It was completed with the assistance of many experts in the field of food preservation. It is however out of date by todays standards.

I have not had any fear in that it is only clarified broth without solid particles. There are also approved recipes for for shrimp and clams (the whole meat) so I have not had any fears of canning just the broth from the same creatures.

The processing time is a fraction of the time for the whole clam or shrimp but it is also for just meat broths. Look up chicken vs. chicken broth and you will see what I mean.

Make your own decision.
    Jim in So. Calif.

• alex_jones123
    13 years ago

I thought that seafood take less time to prepare. So you can do experiments while cooking

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

I wonder if the new Putting Food By has processing times? I didn't get that when I had it in my hot little hands at Borders going-out-of-business sale, but I'm sure someone here has the new edition...

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

In the new edition of PFB the shrimp stock processing reads: 1/2 pint jars only with 1/2" headspace, process at 10 lbs. (adjust for altitude) for 20 min.

The clam broth reads: 1/2 pint jars with 1/2" head space, process at 10 lbs. (adjust for altitude) for 20 min.

So it looks like they have reduced the processing time for both.

I thought that seafood take less time to prepare. So you can do experiments while cooking

Alex - it isn't clear what your question is?

Dave

• Tracey Loslo
    3 years ago

2020-08

I have pressure canned Manhattan Chowder stock, made from prawn stock twice now. It's turned out fantastic :). I couldn't find instructions so guessed at 40 minutes at 12lbs. I'm super pleased to read both the time and pressure can be reduced! !!! Thanks everyone.

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County