Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pumpkin Pineapple Autumn Glory Recipe Question from Pumpkin Threa

Posted by eahamel 9a (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 20, 12 at 18:10

http://low-cholesterol.food.com/recipe/pumpkin-pineapple-autumn-glory-compote-439732

I'm starting another thread since I didn't want to hijack the other one about pumpkin recipes. I found this recipe and it looks good, but calls for it to have a BWB instead of being pressure canned. I was thinking something like this needed to be canned and am wondering if it's acidic enough to take a boiling water bath instead.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pumpkin Pineapple Autumn Glory Recipe Question from Pumpkin T

It's a Ball/Bernardin recipe, so it's fine.

Carol

o

Thanks! It does call for 2 lemons. I have a Meyer lemon tree, and the lemons are quite sour for a lemon, but I think it may be best for me to add some vinegar just to be on the safe side.

o

Meyer Lemons are on the high end of the lemon pH, so if lemons range around 2.6pH, a Meyer will range around 2.65.

There is tremendous variability, even within the same type of fruit, depending upon soil, growing conditions and degree of ripeness. So, for example, an underripe Meyer would in all likelihood have a lower pH than a dead-ripe Eureka.

Certainly you can add some vinegar, though I'd tend to go with bottled lemon juice in this one. I'm just not comfortable taking any risks with pumpkin, which is also quite variable as to pH and water activity.

Carol

o

Okay, bottled lemon juice it is! I've got some lemons on the tree that I need to use, so I'll use the zest from two of them, and add some bottled lemon juice as well. No amount of juice is given in the recipe, and lemons are different sizes. The ones I have now are fairly large.

o

I think bottled is a good idea. Also, the zest has a higher pH than the pulp, so using bottled juice gives you more "comfort" overall. Let us know how the recipe turns out. I haven't tried that one.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here