Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
freezing beans

Posted by calm1 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 19:03

A recent thread on here, Freezing green beans;
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg0114152722374.html?15
Had a post by kriswrite that says;
We LOVE fresh green beans, too. So I just chop and freeze them. I don't blanch them at all. They taste great and retain their crunchiness!
Is this at all possible? How long would they be good?
Thanks
Ed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: freezing beans

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 19:20

Sure it's possible and I'm sure some do it. It just isn't recommended. The recommended blanching destroys the enzymes that lead to earlier spoilage so the freezer life would be much shorter. How much shorter i can't say as I always blanche them. Commercially frozen beans are also blanched first.

Blanching would also kill most of any bacteria that may be on the skin.

But ultimately it is your choice.

dave

o

I am kriswrite and I do this every year. The beans last at least 6 months...I wouldn't know about longer, because we always end up eating them within 6 months or so.

I actually prefer this method not only because it's easier, but because the resulting beans don't have that annoying squeaky thing going on that my blanched beans do.

o

How long do you usually blanch them? I can't remember how long I did it last year, but they turned out almost over done!
I like them tender/crisp. Do you count the time from the minute they go into the boiling water or once they come back to a boil? Nancy

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 21:03

Nancy - see the instructions linked below. The most common cause for chewy, non-crunchy, or over-done frozen beans isn't the blanching. It is a over-maturity of the pods when harvested - left too long on the vine.

Variety can also make a difference. Some freeze better. Some can better.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: How to blanche vegetables for freezing

o

I blanch beans 2-3 min and freeze in vacuum bags

o

Dave, thanks for that link! I'm pretty good about picking about every other day or so, but they do hide! LOL
John- I love my foodsaver! Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here