Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepfun1_2

Canning ham...

Pepfun1-2
12 years ago

Is it ok to do? I've canned tuna and love it! But I remember my MIL buying small cans of ham some years ago and making a ham salad sandwiches with it. Same as you would with chicken or tuna. I'd like to save on freezer space also so small cans of ham would be wonderful to have on hand. I know the BBB says that it's possible to can 'pork' but does that include smoked ham? I know it can be used in soups and such but I'd like to can it by it's self. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Comments (9)

• readinglady
    12 years ago

There's no reason why you couldn't can ham as long as you follow the instructions for size (chopped, strips, cubed, chunked), headspace and processing time and pressure.

If you can 8-oz. jars that will be optimal for your use and given the small size will assure 100%+ safe processing.

Carol

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

It is Ok if it is a real ham and not the kind that is highly processed. Usually the ones with the bone in are Ok. Read the labels. If it says anything about milk or whey, then do not can them.

Yes, some hams have milk or dairy of some sort added.

The texture of canned ham is something to be desired according to people I know that have tried it.
    I have not canned any since it is not something we would eat.

• readinglady
    12 years ago

I hadn't even realized there were "hams" out there which contained dairy fillers. What a thought.

Carol

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I read something a while ago about milk in ham. Ever since then, I've been reading ham labels looking for the infamous milk. I've found a few that have lactic acid added - but most specify not from milk. The "worst" I've found is that Spam contains potato starch - but then I guess we could debate if spam is even considered a meat product . I guess we could debate what all those "natural flavorings" are. (FWIW - most deli turkey meats I've found contain corn starch

Also - with the USDA allergen food labeling - aren't manufacturers supposed to note on the package if their product contains one of the 8 common allergens, milk being one of them?

JMO, but I personally think milk in ham is an old wives tale/urban legend.

• readinglady
    12 years ago

I've just been doing some quick reading. Apparently nonfat dried milk is sometimes added to processed meats as a flavor enhancer, as is lactose. Caseinate (also derived from dairy) is added as an emulsifier and for improved slicing.

Personally, it comes back to whether I want to can what is already a highly processed food (or eat it at all, for that matter).

I do know over the holidays I was searching for ham, the real variety, and it was almost impossible to find. I spent a lot of time reading labels and was horrified at the number of additives, not to mention the amount of water I would have paid for.

Carol

• Pepfun1-2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for all the input!!!! Will take all these things into consideration...(milk? yuck) and do a test batch =). I sorely wish I could talk my husband into raising a few porkers. lol

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

I learned about the dairy additives when our daughter got where she could not eat anything like this. Not whey, caseinate, etc.

• gardengalrn
    12 years ago

Hmmm, that gives me some ideas. We butchered a pastured barrow this last time and I found I didn't care much for the texture of the hams, ham slices and some of the chops. This would be a great idea for adding to salads, sandwiches and soups. Thanks! Lori

• gardenman101
    11 years ago

Ok, i have a question which i could not find an answer in Balls Blue book. I boild down the remains of some left over ham (on the bone) and removed the fat (processed twice on the stove to make sure i got all fat) How do I can the broth ( the only reason I ask is it gets gelatanis when it cools. I like to use the saved and frozen fat when i cook up greens, but not sure how to process the thick broth, or should i just freeze it?
    Thanks