Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmerboybill

Source for pint and a half canning jars?

farmerboybill
16 years ago

I have 2 pint and a half jars I picked up somewhere along the line and think they're great. I've looked high and low on the net and can't find a source for more. Anyone know where I can find some?

Thanks

Comments (88)

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Ball will also be changing to the slightly larger jars soon. The Kerr will too, as they are all made by the same company and once metric takes over, we will be seeing many slight differences. I see Classico sauce in a 3 pack on sale at BJ's. I can't even fit 7 quarts in my canner anymore as the are just too tight in there. I suppose I could use all older jars, but the best way to deal with it is to fill it with 6 quarts and a pint in the middle.

• zeuspaul
    16 years ago

I just checked out my new Classico one quart jars. They are the same capacity as my Kerr jars which is less than the Golden Harvest. However they are shorter and squatter, the same as the GH jars only shorter.

Time to stock up on Kerr

Zeuspaul

• robinkateb
    16 years ago

This thread made me roll up my sleeves and rescue a jar today. I have a jar I keep in the kitchen for all the fat I drain off my cooking. So when I make bacon, brown chicken etc. I drain the fat into the jar and put the lid on it. When the jar is full I toss it in the trash. Well I realized my current jar of fat is a 24 oz mason jar from Trader Joe's sauce. So I emptied it in to the trash and I am cleaning it up. What I won't do for jars!!

-Robin

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

My mom used to use an empty frozen orange juice can, when they still made the cans out of metal. She stored the grease in the freezer until it was full. Now they are paper cans. Same with shortening, which was also in metal cans. One important thing, make sure that the lid and ring of a regular canning jar will screw onto these saved jars. There is nothing worse than filling a bunch of collected jars and when it comes to capping, the Ball lids and rins will not screw on properly. Many makers of these so called 'mason' jars are adding extra length to the mouth of the jars, which move the threads down lower. A ring can barely grab the last thread. NEVER reuse a lid that was originally on these jars. Not only can that cause contamination, but poor seals, and rust can get inside. You only need a tiny pinhole, microscopic in nature in the metal coating of the insides of the covers, to start rust formation. With high acid foods, as well as salt, that rust can grow very fast and eat right through the lids in no time.

• afeisty1
    16 years ago

You're right, Ken. I tried using the jars from the canned fruits and the rings wouldn't fit. Fortunately, I wasn't canning but I had thrown the original lid away. I use jars instead of plastic or tupperware for leftovers and things.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Thats just one sneaky way to get up to recycle and think of the throw away world again.. Mason used to be an industry standard, but not any more.

• kayskats
    16 years ago

what I want to find are cup-and-a-half jars (ie, 12 oz.) I sometimes use the small Classico (pesto) jars which hold about 10 oz and that works well, but I can only eat so much pesto, particularly since all the stores around here have quit stocking the sun-dried tomato pesto.
    Kay

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

There are 12 ounce jelly jars still available. They are taller than the 8 ounce, but take the same lid and covers are regular jelly jars. Here is a source, but if your True Value or Ace sells jars, ask them to order some of these. I like using them for the long Dilly beans. The source also sells smooth sided quart jars.

Here is a link that might be useful: Goodmans

• readinglady
    16 years ago

It must be a difference of location. Here any store that stocks Ball and Kerr canning jars will routinely stock the 12-oz. It is one of my favorite and most useful sizes.

Carol

• kayskats
    16 years ago

I gave all my skinny-minis away (the quilted tall jelly jars) because for some reason they will not stay upright when I process. I know some of you do not use a rack, but it's even worse when I try to use a trivet or jar rings. I've seen some squat jars, but they had bails and rubbers and are very expensive.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Get a good canning rack??

Here is a link that might be useful: KK canning racks

• James McNulty
    16 years ago

Just a thought on canning jars from the grocery store. Put a regular canning ring in your purse or pocket when you go to the grocery store. I find that many products, especially specialty products, are often canned in standard canning jars. Examples in So. Calif: Certain kinds of salsas that try to look home made, various sauces (Clasico Pesto Sauce comes in an 8 oz. standard canning jar for example), and in the produce counter there is a whole line of so called fresh and to be always refrigerated salad dressings that come in I think a 12 ounce straight sided jar with a standard canning lid. It even has a plastic label that once you get one corner up, you can peel the whole label off with the jar dry. If you don't take a ring, you'll bring home lots of jars that look like canning size and are not. I have washed a great deal of old peanut butter jars that looked like canning size that of course were not. In the above manner, you can try out some interesting "nitch" products and get canning jars in very desirable sizes to boot. To counter any arguements about breakage with these jars, I used to always use them with just a hot water canner. I then switched to using them in the pressure canner also and I have NEVER had one break in either canning method. Just my thoughts and observations. Jim in So. California

• dafygardennut
    16 years ago

Start checking thrift stores for jars - I just picked up 8 widemouth 1-1/2 pint jars for $2 and 23 half pint jars for $4 at a local goodwill. There were more there that I left because the rims felt chipped, but I'm starting to see them more often lately.

cheers!

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Was in BJ's the other day again, and wheeled the cart down the canned fruit aisle. There is a major name brand of glass jarred peaches in what look like taller and a little narrower pint jars. The lids are one piece and appear to be very close in size to regular canning lids. The jarred fruits are 3 in a shrink wrap. I don't recall of it was Dole, Delmonte or another major brand.

Chipped rims on the jars are junk, if you see any in the thrift stores let the sales people know. I am sure they would like to get rid of the bad stuff that is taking up valuable space. Some places just send help to the location and pull the bad ones and toss them in the trash.

• bkarthur1
    14 years ago

I found a brand of 3 cup canning jars at Amazon called Leifheit Decorative Canning Jars. Has anyone tried these? For me soup would be perfect for this size jar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon

• agrippa
    13 years ago

I have not, but have been looking at them, too. The shape of the jars may reduce the number of jars the canner could hold, and they are quite expensive. Unfortunately, they may be the only option for 1-1/2 pt jars, since Classico now uses a lighter weight jar and coats it with a "scratch coat" that renders it non-reusable. What a shame and a waste! So much for their "going green"

• lingon
    13 years ago

What is this about classico jars now being non-reusable? I've been saving them for a year now - how can I tell which are reusable and which aren't?

• readinglady
    13 years ago

It's my understanding the newer Classico threads aren't compatible with canning flats and rings.

The Leifheit jars are very high quality (with a price to match) and are designed to accomodate Ball lids and rings as well as the original Leifheit flats.

Once in while the old Ball pint-and-a-half jars turn up at garage sales or on ebay, but not necessarily at a competitive price. I really wish Ball would re-introduce that one. It's a very handy size.

Carol

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

how can I tell which are reusable and which aren't?

By trying to screw a ring on it. The new ones just let the ring spin loosely.

But the new ones are also supposedly thinner glass so no experience on using them in a PB, just BWB.

Dave

• pqtex
    13 years ago

I just scored 188 canning jars from freecycle. All quarts and pints...and ONE 1-1/2 pint jar. Added to the one I got from my mother's collection, I now have a total of TWO! lol.

• luckylu
    13 years ago

I have been searching for these size jars also. No luck in any retail stores. I am able to find some in thrift stores.

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

Definitely try the screw bands on them first. I got a ton of jars off craigslist last fall. Including about 6 dozen "spaghetti sauce" jars. Earlier this summer I cooked up a ton of applesauce, poured them into jars, went to put on rings, and the rings just spun. Not a convenient time to figure that out!

• mapleleafquilt
    13 years ago

I started a new thread on this forum about the Ball wide-mouth pint and a half jars because I wrote to Ball and Jarden Home Brands after reading this thread. I learned from Ball that Jarden Home Brands (www.freshpreserving.com) holds the license to manufacture Ball jars.

I wrote to Jarden telling them how useful that jar is. They wrote back to me and told me that if there is enough interest, they might consider bringing back that jar. I realize that it's not much help right now but it would be great if we could get some emails to the Jarden people. Please contact them at JHBFreshPreservingInfo@jardenhomebrands.com

joan

• zabby17
    13 years ago

The Classico jars sold in Canada still fit standard rings.

But I'll be testing every one I acquire from now on just in case they make the switch here, too!

Z

• bencjedi
    13 years ago

The Classico jars of sauce specifically sold at Sams Club in a 3-pack DO WORK with the standard rings. I just bought some a few weeks ago and the rings screw on fine.

If you don't like the taste of Classico and need a larger volume of sauce (but want the Classico jars) mix the Classico with Bertolli Organic tomato sauce (also sold at Sams Club in a 3-pack). The sauce mix tastes astounding! The combination seems to bring out the best of both. Classico by itself is ok, but there's something magical about the flavor when the Bertolli organic is added. :)

• pporte_snet_net
    13 years ago

yikes ! just picked up two 24 oz. jars in a case of quarts that i paid $3.00 for!! they have the fruit logo on the side so i know they were made 1970 or later. does anyone know what year Ball stopped making them ?

• gardensewer
    13 years ago

Saw an earlier post that implied we could have some influence. Here is a copy of the carrot in front of us. I didn't copy the name of the person who originally posted this, sorry, but here is the post.

Last summer I put up some green beans from my garden. I used a recipe from Sunset Magazine as a jumping off point and the result was crunchy, garlicky, spicy, dilly beans. I had grabbed some lovely Ball jars from my jar stash that are 1-1/2 pint capacity. They were perfect for green beans and would have been perfect for asparagus. Of course, they made wonderful spontaneous hostess gifts. Soon I had only a couple of these jars. I went to my local Ace Hardware store (and my True Value, OSH, etc). All winter I kept checking at likely sources -- hoping to get a jump on the first jars to hit the shelves for canning season. Guess what? These jars are no longer being made. I think I learned this first from the Garden Web.
    I wrote several letters to people at Ball Corp and Jarden Home Brands, the current manufacturer of Ball jars. Today I received this note:

"We appreciate your interest in Jarden Home Brands products. The 1-1/2 pint size jar was discontinued several years ago and our inventory has been depleted. We receive several inquires from consumers regarding this size jar. If enough interest is generated, our marketing team would consider bringing this jar back."

Please contact them at JHBFreshPreservingInfo@jardenhomebrands.com

I definitely emailed them and will again if I can each season. We should all try to inundate them with emails to encourage them there IS a market for them!

• braunsbride
    13 years ago

Hi everyone....just thought you might want to know that Ball Canning and Recipes has a Facebook page and people are posting "bring back the pint and a half jar"....if you are a member on Facebook please post your request. So far I've counted about 35 people that have posted. After you sign into Facebook just do a search on "ball canning and recipes". It is also a great source for ideas. Spread the word, and I'm hoping that we can keep this post going....thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ball Canning and Recipes Facebook Page

• camaro4_embarqmail_com
    13 years ago

Hi all, I came across this site looking for info on 1-1/2 pint Ball Wide Mouth canning jars. I was trying to find out what there are worth. I have 26 of them along with 125 other sizes all ball jars. If someone could please email me at camaro4@embarqmail.com and give me an idea I would appreciate it.
    Thanks

• bwise2u_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I wondered if you still have the pint and a half canning jars? If so, are they the wide mouth lid and straight up and down (no curve inward at the top of the jars). I use them to bake quick breads with garden veggies... pumpkin, zuccini, etc. If you have the correct size/style, I would be interested in buying them. Please send info re availability, including price.

• Mike_in_GA
    12 years ago

Glad to hear about Classico sauce jars. I'm going to check that out tomorrow although I hate to buy something that I can make so much better myself. I do however, frequently buy Del Monte SunFresh Citrus Salad and other fruits in 20oz. jars that look very much like mason jars. While they're not actually pint and a half, they're a little more than a pint and would be perfect for some of my own canning, however the rims are just a tiny bit larger than standard jars. Their website brags about how their company is so "Green" and into recycling, but when I emailed them and tried to explain that if they would just change their packaging a little bit, the jars could be directly recycled by us home canners with no energy used other than for washing, I felt that my whole point was ignored since the reply I received just stated that their jars should not be reused since standard rings and lids would not fit. Duh! Would anybody else like to email them and see of we could get a point across?

• jacks_34_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

How long do you process the pint & 1/2? my nana just gave me 30!!

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

How long do you process the pint & 1/2? my nana just gave me 30!!

You have to use the time for quarts.

Dave

• amy2271
    11 years ago

I have found a source for pint and a half canning jars if anyone is still interested after all this time. I too love this size and used to purchase them at Orchard supply in Ca. But This month (MAY 2012)I saw them for sale in the Kitchen Krafts catalog. They aren't cheap and shipping applies but if you want a couple of dozen this is the first time I have seen them anywhere in years. I hope this helps anyone that hasn't found any yet. You can get a Kitchen Krafts catalog on line. I got one while looking for gel ez lite for less sugar jams. Happy canning!

• readinglady
    11 years ago

Sears has them listed on their site for $10.49 and you can use the free ship-to-store option.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Ball Pint and a Half at Sears

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

Bi-Mart in the Pacific Northwest is carrying them too. Be aware, however, that they are 9-packs, not a dozen and priced at $9.99.

Deanna

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Ace Hardware has them and will ship to store if not in stock but the 9-pack is $11.99. They often run 1/2 price coupons, though I don't know if those can be used on special orders.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ace pint and a half

• farmerboybill
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey all,

Holy Cow! I am the original poster and haven't checked into this thread in 4 years and am shocked at the response I got. A very big THANK YOU to all who posted and I wish I had been involved in the email campaign that brought these back.

I'm off to Ace to order some jars.

• PlantsAndYarn
    11 years ago

If you have a Meijer store near you, they sell them, also. You may be able to order them from their website. Can't remember the price, but their prices are usually pretty good.

• farmerboybill
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey plants and yarn,

Thanks for your response. I went on Meijer's site and did not see pint-and-a-halfs. However, their pint and quart sizes are considerably more than I can get locally. I'd assume their 24 ouncers would be similarly priced. Shipping is a PITA when it comes to glass. Local is usually the way to go, but it's more-so when buying glass products. i can get them online for $9.99, but it'd cost $10 per case to ship. Better to order them through True Value for $11.99 and pick them free at the store 4 miles from home.

It's too bad they are packaging them in 9 packs. They're a lot more expensive per unit ($1.33 versus $.75) than just buying quarts, BUT they're such a convenient size! I suppose if more were sold, they'd be less money per. In the end, I'm just glad they brought 'em back!

BTW, I use all sizes. Here's a pic of the canning so far. My wife and I were very lucky to have bought her family farm that has a full commercial kitchen in the basement. I have 2 ranges and a full size fridge, along with 15 feet of counter space and a commercial 3 bay sink in a 12 by 16 room. Canning in the basement is great! It's naturally cooler and we keep the mess outta the main kitchen.

• PlantsAndYarn
    11 years ago

That's so cool! A whole separate kitchen for canning would be awesome! This is my first year of canning, although my Mom did can tomatoes. I was just at Meijer's yesterday & bought a new canning kettle so I can do quarts next year. I only did pints this year. I saw their 1 1/2 pint jars & thought that was a great size. I can't remember what the price was in the store, but they are having a buy 2 get 1 case free sale on their jars. I think I may pick up a few for next year. Just wondering about processing time. I figured if you processed for the same amount of time as a quart, then you'd be good.

• GeneTheNewGuy
    11 years ago

I don't have time to read through the gazallion replies here.

However I have seen them at Lowes. I have ordered them through Ace Hardware and True Value Hardware. Don't even both going to their websites. Don't call the store. Walk into their physical store and talk to the manager, they can order them in from their warehouse.

Often times things are not listed online but they are available to the store, just need to walk in and ask.

Pretty much any hardware store and a lot of grocery stores, the smaller the better the customer service.

• farmerboybill
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, Wow, WOW!

I just called a local Mennonite bulk food store and asked about 24 ounce jars. They told me $9 per dozen. I asked them to call and verify the price. They say it's true. I ordered 10 dozen. Until I see them, I can't believe it. That is a huge difference in price - 1.33 per jar versus .75 per jar. After all, isn't canning about saving money. Well, that and better quality of food. And food security.

Is 32 too young to get excited about canning jars???

Here's a pic of my two canners in my basement canning kitchen. I'll get more pics if I get a chance.

• sue_ct
    11 years ago

I bought some pint and a halfs this year, I think it was at Tractor Supply. Yup, I just checked, and they are on the TS website. No cheaper, though. Actually, I think they were 9.99 online, although I could have sworn I paid 9.00 in the store.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

I got some at TSC last month, they were on sale for $8.99 plus I had a coupon. But that was for 9, not a dozen.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

I haven't seen them any place locally yet, and I haven't been willing to pay shipping on them. Love them for asparagus, peaches and pears.

I still have a few that I've been guarding with my life for several years, still using those. They don't leave the house, nothing 'gifted' in them till I have a supply available :)

• Randy.Canada
    11 years ago

I saw them last week at Bed, Bath, and Beyond in New York 12901. They cost more than pints or quarts. They were from Ball.

• farmerboybill
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey all,

I went to pick up my jars and was excited to have them, but also a little disappointed. The supplier had a misprint in their catalog - they were 8.90 for 9, not 12. Still, I paid about $1 per jar versus 1.33 from Ace or True Value. I got 10 boxes - 90 jars. Now, I just need to shoot a couple deer to fill them...

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

I wish they packaged them in dozens. Boxes don't go all the way to front of my shelves, I hate the wasted space. I wouldn't mind paying $12-$13 for a dozen. $1 a jar is a good price.

BBB often has 20% off coupons (and the stores honor them after they expire, though you can't use them online). Don't know what price that would end up. But I've never seen canning jars in our local BBB. Our Lowes doesn't even carry them - I asked and they said they weren't selling so discontinued them in that store. It's a new store and I guess I missed the 1 year they had them.

• randaloulton
    7 years ago

@Ksrogers -- if you are still following this thread... do you happen to remember what brand and model of steam canner you purchased... the one that won't fit 7 Golden Harvest quart jars?