Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berrybusy

bpa?

berrybusy
11 years ago

That coating they put on the canning lids now...

Are you concerned?

Seems to me it's a fairly recent addition to the design. I have older lids that don't have that coating.

Just wondering, what with the latest news and all.

Comments (12)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

I know we have had numerous previous discussions about this but those discussions are mixed in all the 'lids' and the 'Tattler' discussions so are difficult to pull up separately.

So from what I can recall: 1) most, including me, aren't concerned as the food has little if any contact with the lid itself anyway, 2) not all lids have the BPA coating. There are generics that are listed as BPA free and of course the Tattler lids. 3) Then there is the "better BPA than the molds and rust that grew on the old ones" belief, and 4) then there are the "if not this, then something else is going to get you anyway so give up eating and breathing" discussions. (Currently one on the Tomatoes forum here.)

So we each have to make our own choice. If it is a real concern to you, the options currently are to switch to Tattler lids (or other BPA free lids) or to Weck type jars. Good article on the issue linked below.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Article: BPA in Canning Lids

• kriswrite
    11 years ago

My understanding is that the BPA is INSIDE the lid, between layers. It's there because some acidic foods will otherwise eat away at the lids, causing safety issues. Because it's not on the part of the lid that the food touches, I'm not very concerned.

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

I would personally avoid it and any other plastics for that matter.. But this is coming from a man who doesn't cook his food... I won't even use metal water bottles, still leaches copper and who know what... Let alone cooking pans... Oh boy, scary... Dont live in fear. What's scary is not knowing why you are eating. At least your canning your own instead of buying the stores garbage... Your doing better than most people, good job.. Personally I try to only eat raw foods, fruits and vege... Hope this helps

Joe

• Linda_Lou
    11 years ago

The Tattler lids emit formaldehyde if the temp. is high enough. Ball was supposed to do away with the BPA. It is only the white coated lids, not the metal ones.

I order bulk lids from Lehmans and use them.

• kriswrite
    11 years ago

I hadn't heard that BPA is only with the white coated lids - in fact, I've never even seen white coated canning lids!

• jackieblue
    10 years ago

Jarden (Ball and Kerr) started distributing BPA free lids in January 2013. Apparently there is a code stamped on the box by the flag for the early released boxes, and they will start labeling the boxes as BPA free this summer. I was at Lowes yesterday and noticed they had a package of the wide mouth pints marked as BPA free. The coating is still whitish but not as much as the old ones which contained BPA.

• pattypan
    9 years ago

if the coating is whitish, something is there. somewhere i read that the chemical replacement for BPA was just as bad, if not worse . we humans are like kids playing with matches, we just don't know the consequences.......what's wrong with a little rust, anyway?(serious question !)

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

The off-white coated lids Ball has now (marked "Made in the USA") are BPA-free.

What's the "replacement" coating, and what is supposed to be wrong with it?

• pattypan
    9 years ago

just google it. Scientific American says:
    Nearly 81 percent of Americans have detectable levels of BPS in their urine. And once it enters the body it can affect cells in ways that parallel BPA. A 2013 study by Cheryl Watson at The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston found that even picomolar concentrations (less than one part per trillion) of BPS can disrupt a cellâÂÂs normal functioning, which could potentially lead to metabolic disorders such as diabetes and obesity, asthma, birth defects or even cancer. âÂÂ[Manufacturers] put âÂÂBPA-freeâ on the label, which is true. The thing they neglected to tell you is that what theyâÂÂve substituted for BPA has not been tested for the same kinds of problems that BPA has been shown to cause. ThatâÂÂs a little bit sneaky,â Watson says.

• pattypan
    9 years ago

if that doesn't scare you, try this one:
    Common BPA substitute, BPS, disrupts heart rhythms in females
    Date:
    June 23, 2014
    Source:
    Endocrine Society

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Thanks Patty I'll look into it more. This is the 1st I've heard of BPS.

• pattypan
    9 years ago

i'm not saying BPS is now in the lids. but if not that, than what ? on the other hand, there are thousands of man-made chemicals out there (new car smell, anyone?). there is, literally, no where to hide. i've wondered if glass jars are the exact same composition as 100 years ago.