Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengalrn

Down time

gardengalrn
11 years ago

Some of us are experiencing a downtime on both gardening and canning. I am busily planning my garden and in the process am reviewing my canning recipes and searching here for some old favorites or something intriguing. I think we have run the gambit on "favorite" recipes but I actually get really curious about how people actually use the produce they can or put up. For example, I had been wanting for years to make Habanero Gold jelly. I finally did but wasn't too sure what to do with it, LOL. I used it mostly for a delicious glaze material for chicken. My adult son loved it that way so much that he took the last jar in my pantry home to experiment for himself.

I made some too-salty sauerkraut which I've eaten after rinsing but also used it as-is as a seasoning for pork roasts in the crock pot. The family isn't huge on sauerkraut anyway but they really liked it "cooked down" on the pork in the crock pot.

I made some red onions in vinegar which I thought I would really like. It was a little too astringent as-is, and I adore all things vinegary. I combined them with fresh onions sauted in butter to use as a condiment for some sliders I was making, a big hit.

A few years back I made Annie's pressure cooker salsa recipe and I would guess I probably over-cooked and over-processed it. The end result wasn't a salsa we enjoyed with say, chips. I instead used it as a welcome additive to a few soups and chili.

In my search tonight I saw that several people use Katie's Roasted Tomato Garlic soup recipe in things like marinara sauce for pasta, to compliment other soups and sauces.

Any favorite uses for the recipes we've seen here? Lori

Comments (2)