Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overpressure plug leaking steam but vent pipe not blocked

Posted by tanyak (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 24, 11 at 2:43

I have an All American canner that I've been using for 2 years and for the first time yesterday the overpressure plug leaked steam (not the usual small amount of steam as pressure starts building up but lots of steam). I turned off the canner and checked whether the vent pipe was blocked but it wasn't. Any idea what can be wrong ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overpressure plug leaking steam but vent pipe not blocked

It's possible the overpressure plug is cracked and needs to be replaced. All-American recommends replacement every 12 months and it's a good idea to keep a spare on hand.

You might find this All-American troubleshooting guide handy. It does discuss your problem on page 3.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: All-American Troubleshooting Guide

o

In addition to cracking as Carol said, they can dry and shrink during storage. Sometimes just running the canner for a bit but nothing but water in it will allow the plug to re-expand. Worth a try. And i agree that have spare parts on hand is always a good idea.

Another personal experience - if you have hard water as I do - is lime build-up in the exhaust vent. You may not be able to see it but it is there and is just enough to reduce flow. Adding some vinegar to the water and allowing active steaming through the vent for 20 mins. can help soften it and then a stiff pipe cleaner will clean it out.

Dave

o

Thanks for the advice - I'll try running the canner and adding some vinegar to the water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here