Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Pontiac Potatoes

Posted by chartim 7A (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 27, 11 at 7:51

Can Red Pontiac Potatoes be canned? All I've seen are recipes for white or irish.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Pontiac Potatoes

Yes they can. The name aside, they are a white potato. Yukon Golds can also be canned. Actually any potato can be canned using the same directions. You just get different end results in texture.

Dave

o

Pontiac has always been my main crop potato. Large size, great for all uses overall (although not the best for fries, they are a little moist and don't brown as well as a russet). And, of course, I live a few miles from the city of Pontiac, Michigan, which I hope is the variety's namesake. They were a sport of the original Pontiac variety, which was bred here in Michigan. "Chief Pontiac" is a widely mentioned person in folklore here in the immediate area, and local legend, which no doubt is WILDLY inaccurate considering that he was killed in Illinois after his retreat from the British forces here in Michigan in the 1760's, claims that his unmarked grave lies on Apple Island in the middle of Orchard Lake, about 2 miles from my house. Probably not, but its a fun little story.

I'm sorry, as I realize NONE of this has anything to do with the original post, but it is just a fun little bit of trivia to share (hopefully the reader will feel the same way).

Here is a link that might be useful: Origin of the Pontiac potato.

o

Yes, as long as you peel them, just like any other potato, then pressure can.

o

Thanks everyone for the replys and yes I did enjoy the trivia

o

I think the red potatoes I canned last summer were among my favorites. It was a wonderful surprise to find them such a "convenience" food. They had a good texture and went well in soups, stews, mashed, etc. It was my first year canning, and I was very happy with them. Only problem was we didn't grow (or can) enough to last all year. We planted more for this season.

o

I agree, the Red Pontiacs can nicely, keep their shape and texture well. they are also easy to grow, hardy and prolific, love 'em.

Of course, like denninmi, I'm from Michigan and the Red Pontiacs like our climate.

annie

o

Thanks you for the replys. I put 10 Lbs. RP seed pototoes in ground and going to put 10 more in the Straw Potato method today, havn't tried this before. Friends who have say it works great for them.

Thanks again
Tim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here