Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chartim

Red Pontiac Potatoes

chartim
13 years ago

Can Red Pontiac Potatoes be canned? All I've seen are recipes for white or irish.

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Yes they can. The name aside, they are a white potato. Yukon Golds can also be canned. Actually any potato can be canned using the same directions. You just get different end results in texture.

Dave

• denninmi
    13 years ago

Pontiac has always been my main crop potato. Large size, great for all uses overall (although not the best for fries, they are a little moist and don't brown as well as a russet). And, of course, I live a few miles from the city of Pontiac, Michigan, which I hope is the variety's namesake. They were a sport of the original Pontiac variety, which was bred here in Michigan. "Chief Pontiac" is a widely mentioned person in folklore here in the immediate area, and local legend, which no doubt is WILDLY inaccurate considering that he was killed in Illinois after his retreat from the British forces here in Michigan in the 1760's, claims that his unmarked grave lies on Apple Island in the middle of Orchard Lake, about 2 miles from my house. Probably not, but its a fun little story.

I'm sorry, as I realize NONE of this has anything to do with the original post, but it is just a fun little bit of trivia to share (hopefully the reader will feel the same way).

Here is a link that might be useful: Origin of the Pontiac potato.

• Linda_Lou
    13 years ago

Yes, as long as you peel them, just like any other potato, then pressure can.

• chartim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for the replys and yes I did enjoy the trivia

• pqtex
    13 years ago

I think the red potatoes I canned last summer were among my favorites. It was a wonderful surprise to find them such a "convenience" food. They had a good texture and went well in soups, stews, mashed, etc. It was my first year canning, and I was very happy with them. Only problem was we didn't grow (or can) enough to last all year. We planted more for this season.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

I agree, the Red Pontiacs can nicely, keep their shape and texture well. they are also easy to grow, hardy and prolific, love 'em.

Of course, like denninmi, I'm from Michigan and the Red Pontiacs like our climate.

annie

• chartim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks you for the replys. I put 10 Lbs. RP seed pototoes in ground and going to put 10 more in the Straw Potato method today, havn't tried this before. Friends who have say it works great for them.

Thanks again
    Tim