Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eating Broccoli Leaves

Posted by misskimmie z4b Central NY (kim@mpgfilms.com) on
Fri, Mar 4, 11 at 8:29

Last autumn, my neighbors mother came over for a visit. As is my habit, I grabbed a paper bag and a knife so she could go 'shopping' in my garden. She declined my offers of swiss chard and kale and asked instead for some leaves from broccoli. She said she used to cook them with potatoes. (She is Italian) .

Does anyone have a recipe for this - or any other way to serve broccoli leaves?

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog- Little Homestead in the Village

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eating Broccoli Leaves

Broccoli leave, cauliflower leave, Brussels sprout leaves, all are edible and they can be prepared like kale, collards, or the outer leaves of cabbage. I am specially fond of Brussels sprouts leaves. After two seasons of 'no sprouts' we just ate the leaves and found them so tasty we grow them now just for the leaves. This year I am growing broccoli raab, and I also really like their leaves. I will be picking the leaves of a purple broccoli that sprouted pretty soon too.

Examples of suitable dishes: kale potato soup (but use whatever leaves you have), colcanon, green empanadas (individual snack size turn over savory pies). Your imagination is the limit.

o
another dish

...I forgot to mention: greens frittata!

o

Yup, I frequently use the younger, smaller, more tender leaves that grow just under the crown.

There is a specific strain from Italy grown just for the leaves -- Broccoli Sprigarello.

o

I use the large broccoli leaves for "cabbage rolls"...I guess they're actually broccoli rolls.

I've found that if I cut them one evening and just leave them on the counter overnight, they're perfectly wilted enough to roll easily around your filling. I remove the stiff center stem (just the very thick part) and begin rolling from the base of the leaf kind of overlapping the split part from removing the stem. Delicious!
Far easier to obtain than the outer leaves of cabbage which always seem to tear for me.

The leaves of any brassicas are also good diced and tossed into soups.

Deanna

o

Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm winter-sowing lots of broccoli, kale, and some cabbage and brussels spouts. I assume that I can freeze the leaves (after blanching of course)? I sure wish I had some soup greens right now. - kim

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog- Little Homestead in the Village

o

One of our local urban farmers makes stuffed broccoli leaves. I make a vegetarian version of these. They are probably the best greens for stuffing, and have a slightly different taste than most. This helps round out our spring meals because we eat 99% greens and carrots during the winter and spring and I am always looking for some new way to serve them. We eat salad and soup every single day during the winter and spring, variety is nice!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Funny Farm: Stuffed Broccoli Leaves

o

I eat the leaves of broccoli,cauliflower, collards, and brussel sprouts. They are all in the cabbage family and edible. Not only edible but fight cancer. Very healthy! I saute onions and garlic in a little olive oil. Add sausage chopped fine. Brown the sausage. Add chopped leaves and cook for about 10 to 20 minutes. Serve with BBQ sauce. Yummm! P.S. Add tumeric for additional health benefit and yummy taste.

o

I had a bunch that I used instead of spinach in lasagna. I blanched them then chopped them in the food processor. Very tasty. Actually my broccoli loving daughter liked it better than spinach.

o

Just had one of those why-didn't-I-think-of-that moments. Thanks so much for posting this!

o

This spring's weird weather caused my broccoli to head up in May. I was so disappointed with the tiny heads, but at least I can enjoy the leaves! They are delicious, and remind me very strongly of flat kale. I sadded them to my tir-fry instead of cabbage for supper tonight.

o

We tried this tonight. Delicious!!! I am a cooked greens hater, but loved the broccoli leaves because of the firm texture...they didn't cook down to mush. Found a recipe online and sliced the leaves thin, stir-fried with oil, garlic and red pepper flakes....fantastic! Our warm winters makes it hard for broccoli to head, but I think we will grow them specifically for the leaves from now on.

This post was edited by Campruby on Fri, Jan 4, 13 at 19:56

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here