Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vanilla

Posted by kastle 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 20, 11 at 9:11

Is vanilla considered a dried or fresh spice?

I ask b/c I found a great jam recipe using a vanilla bean & would like to add to other jam recipes. I have read on here that you can safely add dried herbs/spices to recipes w/out adverse pH affects.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vanilla

The primary concern with spices pH is when dealing with low-acid foods. Since most all fruit jams are acidic pH I don't think it is an issue. Others will correct me if I'm wrong.

Most all vanilla beans I have any access to are dried already. But even if you have a fresh bean the pH shouldn't be affected all that much given the acidic nature of the fruit. There are a couple of exceptions - figs is one off the top of my head - that are low-acid fruits.

Dave

o
RE: Vanilla

Vanilla beans are dried orchid pods. Obviously the moist beans still have plenty of residual oils, but of all the things I might worry about with preserves, that would rank at the bottom.

I would not be at all concerned about using vanilla in any preserve, even something like fig (which usually calls for lemon juice to bring down the pH). Generally, the preserves are cooked with the bean and once the preserves are infused, the bean is removed. So if there were any potential risk (purely hypothetically), removing the pod would take care of the problem.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here