Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning Beef Stew

Posted by missemerald 7 (Virginia) (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 9:45

I have a question-- I am going to get a pressure canner this year (most likely a Presto with the extra weights, thank you for all the info about that, BTW), and my plan is to can stuff from the garden that I can't water bath. But, I am also planning to can some soups and stews for those quick meals that I can just put on the table in a hurry.

As a rule I use the Ball Complete Book for recipes.

Now searching on the internet, I saw a recipe for beef stew that basically involved cutting the veggies up, layering it in the jars with raw chunked beef, pouring boiling liquid over all, and then pressure canning it (don't recall how long). Although this seems easier it just seems... wrong. The Ball book does not do it this way. Am I just paranoid here or is this really easier? I have doubts but since I've never tried this I wanted additional opinions. Don't want to waste time canning a bunch of stuff to make my family sick!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning Beef Stew

It is wrong... if a method says hot pack, then that is the only way it is safe. Stew is to be hot packed, not raw pack. It takes much of the processing time to just get the food hot that it cuts down on the amount of time it is heating to kill bacteria. It is considered underprocessed if you do a raw pack when it says hot pack.

o

Thanks, LindaLou. I knew it sounded wrong... but I wanted to verify. Maybe the creator of the recipe I saw has been lucky so far?

Marcy

o

I've learned from America's Test Kitchen that beef stew is more flavorful if you sear the meat before adding it to the stock. Seared meat adds a dimention of flavor that distinguishes ok beef stew from wow beef stew. Raw meat just doesn't cut it.

o

Maybe the creator of the recipe I saw has been lucky so far?

Yes, there are a lot of those "may the luck be with you" recipes out there on the web. Some people will try to can anything and then claim that just because it is pressure canned it is safe. Doesn't work that way.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here