Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm so bad about over cooking

Posted by ruthieg__tx z8 TX (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 30, 11 at 9:57

jelly or jam. It is extremely solid. I have learned to add a little water and nuke it for a good consistency but I think I need to buy a better thermometer or hone my "I think it's ready" skills.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm so bad about over cooking

LOL... Me too Ruth... like a bouncing ball, but only jam and preserves. If they made jars that allowed foods to slide right out, sometimes there could be great preserved fruit slices! Can't seem to get it right even using the cold saucer. For me, maybe it is different since the sugar-free methods I use reacts differently than recipes with all the added sugar, which jells-up quicker.

o

I'm the opposite, I seem to err on the side of runny.

o

I'm a well rounded kind of person, I do both. And once in a while I get lucky and it's just right, LOL.

I'm getting better, though, I've been trusting a combination of how it looks, the cold saucer and my jelly thermometer...

Annie

o

I use the plate, thermometer and look at the bubbles. I'm just impatient!

o

I routinely reduce my sugar by about 20%, so I tend to have slightly runny jam/jelly. Which is OK by us - I like it when it oozes into the nooks and crannies of my english muffins, or the indentations on my waffle. I've never been fond of jelly that I have to cut with a knife.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here