Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some Pickles way too salty!

Posted by Siobhan101 none (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 10:22

Hello everyone,

I started to can last year and stuck with the basics -- pickles, relish, and jam. As I've been eating through my stock of pickles I've noticed that some jars came out much saltier than others, even within the same batch. Does anyone know why this might be? I did a raw pack and then poured the hot brine into the jars.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some Pickles way too salty!

Within the same batch then the usual cause is using older cukes mixed in with fresher cukes. Older cukes are softer, more porous, and so absorb much more of the salt in the brine.

It is one of the main reasons using only fresh picked cukes is recommended.

Did you taste the brine before adding it? Sometimes if it is too salty going in you can add a smidge of sugar to the brine first.

Dave

o
RE: Some Pickles way too salty!

I think you hit the nail (pickle?) on the head! We'd never made pickles before so we were a little overwhelmed by how quickly there seemed to be a million pickles to can! I mostly made relish out of the older ones, but some cute little ones did make it into our pickles. I'll be sure to schedule my canning more immediately this year. Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here