Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robinkateb

Waiting, not so patiently, for Essence of Violet

robinkateb
16 years ago

I have a copy of Mes Confitures that was sent to me by Annie almost 3 years ago. There is a recipe in there for raspberry jam with essence of violet. Of course I was intrigued and tried to find some. Not even the internet was much help. However I found several comments on foodie blogs saying how wonderful the jam is.

I take my boys to a paygroup where one of the staff members is French. When I found out she was going home for a visit I asked if she could get me some. Turns out her home town is the largest violet producer. So she is getting me some. She left on the 10th of February so I assume she will be back soon. I am not so patiently waiting. I have raspberries I picked this summer waiting it the freezer.

-Robin

Here is a link that might be useful: Jam Description on Chocolate and Zucchinni

Comments (14)

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Have patience, the berries will keep in the freezer just fine. Would the following link help?

Here is a link that might be useful: Essence of violet

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Robin, if your "French Connection" doesn't pan out or you just can't wait, try Bickford. They sell violet extract.

They are my very favorite company for any kind of flavoring. The wild cherry is extraordinary. With very few exceptions all their flavors are natural (call if you're not sure). All flavors are alcohol, sugar and salt-free. Everything they sell is kosher-certified.

Here's the price list. Generally shipping is $7.95 whatever you buy so it's worth it to buy quite a lot (get some friends together). I've ordered several times. Excellent service and product.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Bickford Flavors Price List

• robinkateb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow Carol, thanks. That is quite an impressive list. Now can someone please tell me what you would need the flavor of "chlorophyll" for. LOL!!

-Robin

• melva02
    16 years ago

Robin, have you ever seen chlorophyll-flavored gum? I remember it from when I grew up in NY but it kind of went away, and then I saw it again later in Canada. I forget what it was called but obviously it was green. Actually I think it tasted better than the violet "mints"...vaguely planty but I think it had spearmint or something in it too.

Carol, thanks for the Bickford recommendation. I was just thinking I might try to make a knockoff version of the orange Hostess cupcakes, because the creme filling is made of suet spun with sugar and that is just gross to me...it ruins my enjoyment of those delicious cupcakes! I wasn't sure how to get a deep orange flavor instead of just the brighter orange juice & zest flavor I've achieved in muffins. Maybe orange extract would do it.

How long do the flavorings keep? And can you recommend some other uses for them or particular recipes? What do you do with the wild cherry?

Melissa

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Been doing business with Bickfords for many years now. Where else can you find maraschino cherry flavor, or pistachio. I used to make chocolates and used many of their flavors for the fondant fillings. My rum raisin chocolates were to die for, as were my mocha truffles and solid pistachio flavored chocolate where I used white chocolate and added a bit of a green color, as well as whole shelled pistachios. Used to make at least 50 pounds a year, mostly for the holidays. That was before the diabetes hit. When I used to buy them years ago, the smallest sizes were $1.95 each. They have both the flavors and oils for many things.

• readinglady
    16 years ago

I pulled up the flavorings sheet for RobinKate, but as Ken mentioned, Bickford also sells essential oils. Just truncate the web address to get yourself back to the home page and from there you can get to the oils order sheet. You can do a mixed order and shipping is still $7.95.

Originally I got the cherry flavoring for a springerle recipe as a change from anise. That was an idea from House on the Hill. (Warning! Don't visit the link if you're trying to economize!) Currently they don't offer cherry but they do sell a few other Bickford flavors and oils.

Another idea for many of the Bickford fruit flavors is to use them to enhance pies or other fruit desserts, jams, etc. Rose Levy Beranbaum mentions that in her "Pie and Pastry Bible." Especially in winter you may be cooking/baking with frozen fruit or imported fruit where the flavor is dulled or flat. The natural extracts can provide a real boost.

The only thing I do want to mention is from my perspective Bickford flavors are more concentrated than other brands so even though they're not essential oils, I cut way back when I use them.

Michelle, in a cupboard with the bottle tightly capped, I'd say these flavors should last almost indefinitely. Either the orange extract or orange oil should help you in your orange cupcake "mission." (Suet and spun sugar - Ugh.)

And now that I think of it, have you checked out KAF's orange powder for your cupcakes? They also sell lemon and lime powders.

King Arthur Flour Company Orange Powder.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: House on the Hill Cookie Molds and Supplies

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

I have some of the orange, lemon and lme powders from KA here. A small medicine dropper may be useful for measuring teh small amounts of oils needed. I found a flavor called 'green apple'. I plan to use a little in my already canned apple pie filling. Also, Alton Brown mentioned using something other than cinnamon in apple pies. Its called Grains of Paradise (alligator pepper), as a spice instead. When I made my last batch of applie pie jam, I used some cinnamon oil too.

• mellyofthesouth
    16 years ago

Carol,
    I know that the jamlady cookbook says you can use cinnamon oil like Ken did. Do you have an opinion on whether cinnamon oil or cinnamon flavor would be better? The reason I ask is that I can get these crazy red all the through apples from a tree on base. They are a bit disconcerting because you don't expect apples to be red. I was thinking of trying something like cinnamon red hot jam but don't want to have to track down the red hots. (They make a good blackberry apple crumble and I also made apple sauce out of them. I ended up feeding some to the neighborhood horses because I got tired of dealing with them.)

Robin,
    I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about the violet. They sold violet syrup at a place that makes a special red currant sparkling wine in France that we went to two summers ago. If I'd only been thinking, I would have bought some. I bought some candied violets in Paris some time back also. I still haven't used those either. I'll be going on a trip to Paris with my cooking club in June. You'll have to let me know if there is anything i can get for you. We'll be going to La Grande Epicerie among other places.

Melly

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

They don't sell the real read hots, but the Bulk Foods source in the link has many things that are hot. Including wasabi coated peanuts, and red hot jellybeans. Cinnamon oil is hot, but the flavoring is less, and uses a little of the oil with added alcohol. Here is also a place that ships internationally. Never knew 'Ace Hardware' had a candy isle-

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(tu31yd45ofgatgjkqdrtxgvv)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=9095548

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulk foods

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Hi Melly,

IIRC, cinnamon oil is Jamlady's favorite "secret addition" to all kinds of preserves. I think I'd tend to go with the oil as opposed to the flavor. It's the purest, would hold up best to the heat and has the least effect on color. It's actually great in pickles - no cinnamon "dust" to contend with. Clove oil is great in pickles too.

The only caveat, as you yourself know, is to be very sparing.

Those all-red apples sound really interesting. I wonder what the variety is? Or could it be a sport?

Carol

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Scarlet Surprise is one strain of red fleshed apple

Here is a link that might be useful: Red fleshed apple

• readinglady
    16 years ago

I had no idea. Thanks for the link to the different varieties.

Carol

• robinkateb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well i have now made the jam (actually i made it a week ago). It is really good but I needed to use way more then the 3 drops of violet the recipe called for. I used at least a teaspoon, and next time I might use more. The taste does not make you say, oh there is violet in that, instead it increases the raspberry impact. the essence of violet smells wonderful btw.

melly, i will have to put my thinking cap on and think if there is anything else I would want. Well i want canele mods but that is probably a bit much. Thank you so much for the offer, I bet if I was better educated on what was available there is a lot i would want.

-Robin

• mellyofthesouth
    16 years ago

You'd probably be better off getting canele molds from fantes.com with the exchange rate these days. You have plenty of time to think.
    Melly