Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pqtex

jar storage-ring storage

pqtex
12 years ago

Does anyone store their empty jars with the rings on them?

I always remove the rings and wash the jars after processing my food, but once they are empty, I was thinking that the rings put back (loosely)on the empties would help protect the rims from nicks and breakage.

Is this a totally bad idea? I know rust could be a problem, but my storage area is temperature controlled and dry.

I've always stored them separately in the past, but was just wondering...

Thanks, Jill

P.S. I always search the archives before asking a question, but don't always find what I'm looking for. :-)

Comments (5)

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

I don't. No particular reason.
    I have shoebox sized totes for my rings and my jars are stored in the garage in Avon boxes, the kind Avon reps received their orders in. Since I was one, it was an easily available solution and they fit 4 to a shelf on my shelving.

I don't see why you couldn't as long as it is dry as you stated. Sure would be handy to just pull out as many as you need and have the rings there too.

I'll be interested to hear what others say.

Deanna

• macybaby
    12 years ago

I take the rings off for storage, so I re-use my rings all through out the canning process. I have several decent sized boxes of rings that were never used. When one starts looking rusted, I toss it out and grab a new one, and usualy have about 3-4 dozen in rotation during the canning season, and that is for putting up 50 dozen jars.

I store my empty jars upside down in cardboard boxes - in the cellar pantry where I also store the canned goods. I do this mostly to keep the dust out, but have not had any problems with rims so far (has not been that many years though).

Though we keep a humidifier running down there, I'd be way too worried about rust showing up on rings, as I have issues with rust showing up on rings sitting on my counter. I've not had a problem with rust on never used rings, but once they have been through the canner they seem to rust more easily.

My rings are kept in a much dryer closet, but there is not room there for all my empty jars, though I keep the never used ones (with rings and lids still on them) in that closet for the same reason.

• pqtex
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the input. I decided not to store the rings on the empties. I remember how hard it was to get all the rust off the free jars I received from freecycle, and the rings do rust easy, even just being in storage. I was just thinking it might help protect the rims of the jars, plus take up less storage room with the rings.

Jill

• canfan
    12 years ago

I keep my rings in two plastic grocery bags. One for large mouth jars the other small mouth. They fit into the BWB Kettle and an additional kettle I use for cooking. This works for long term storage and I don't have to sort through a BIG bag to get the size rings I am needing for the jars being used.

• nancyofnc
    12 years ago

Store the jars upside down and you likely won't have an issue with chipping. Rings go in plastic bags like canfan but I put in a paper towel packet of dry powdered milk to gather any possible moisture.

Nancy

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida