Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

How long is commercially canned crab good?

2ajsmama
10 years ago

I can't find expiration date but I know it's a few years old. Also have some Goya paella mix that has some canned seafood in the box with the rice - expiration date May 2012.

4 cans of pumpkin exp. Feb - Apr 2013
1 can Comstock apple pie filling Apr 2012, lite cherry pie filling Jan 2012

I might take a chance on canned raspberries from 2011, but I don't know about low-acid stuff.

I also have some bars of Baker's chocolate from Apr 2009 and May 2013 - does chocolate go bad?

pickle Crisp dated May 2013 and Mrs. Wages citric acid about same age - can't read date code - does that go bad?

The pantry is empty! Time to do something with these sagging wire shelves and try to put bins in so stuff doesn't get lost in the back!

Comments (4)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I don't think I would chance the meat products. I know I had a can of pumpkin that was a couple of years out of date and when I opened it, the pumpkin was black. OUT it went.

I've used 2013 stuff still this year, I don't think the pickle crisp or citric acid would go bad.

I would open the fruit, if the cans were not bulging, and If it looked 'normal' and didn't explode, I'd take a chance (I'm chancy on that)

Chocolate, to me, doesn't go bad, unless it changes color. Instead of being the dark dark brown, it's a whitish color. I throw that out. It's from being heated up and then re-cooled.

time to make new shelves.

Marla

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I called for an explanation of the date codes and the crab was 4 years past - threw that out. Goya said not to use the paella either. We'll just have to see about the older chocolate - DD wants to make brownies this weekend so we'll just add some chocolate chunks.

Found the studs (builders missed every single screw, and not all had anchors, 1 anchor pulled out), Secured the wire shelves but they still sag from the weight of flour, sugar, oils and vinegars so I may just make plywood or melamine shelves with cleats like we had in the old house. Not that I don't have enough to do...

But when I was at my favorite store looking for shoe boxes without lids or similar to corral small items in pantry, I found an electric pressure cooker for $12! Tried it out tonight with frozen ham bone - 1 hour to make stock, then I turned it on "Brown" setting (329 degrees according to manual), added 3 cans of white beans and some spinach, we had soup for dinner in less than 1.5 hours from frozen bone. It wasn't in box but had manual, warranty card, and the little plastic thing that fits over the plug prongs so I think it was brand new. Just have to try Steam and Slow Cook settings, I'm hoping it will replace my slow cooker and rice steamer.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

A pressure cooker is a wonderful thing. I used one for years. I really don't remember why I quit.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't think I could find a small stovetop cooker for $12, I like that this is "set and forget" and almost as big as my slow cooker. But did the hambone last night, washed the (white, silicone?) gasket twice and it still smells like ham.

Going to have to try it on Steam setting for rice today, no time now for slow cooking even if I had something thawed out to cook (so may have to use the PC setting again, or go to store). Other than a full pork loin (about 2ft long), a ham, a chicken, and a package of chicken thighs, we don't have any meat left in the freezer, we've been eating it down (but I did restock veggies and flour).