Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning Element

Posted by bookjunky4life 5 Central IL (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 8, 12 at 12:48

I know from reading previous posts on this forum that I need to purchase 2 canning elements for my stove. (MIL got me a new Presto canner for Christmas, so now I can run two at once!) However, I have limited funds to purchase the canning elements. Ebay has several ranging from $35 to $45 (including shipping). However, I have seen them elsewhere on the internet for upwards of $80 or $100.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning Element

What is your question?

Carol

o

Is there any reason I should stay away from the cheaper ones or go for the more expensive ones? Or is a canning element a canning element and disregard price?

o

I think you'll find some of the more expensive elements have heavier-duty struts to support the canner. This can be an issue if you're using a large canner fully loaded with perhaps two layers of pints. Or say a large fully loaded All-American. That's a lot of weight and you don't want the supports bending or giving way.

The main issue, of course, is whether an element is compatible with your brand of stove.

Personally, my first consideration would be return policy so if you discover the element isn't compatible or is flimsy, you can send it back.

Carol

o

Price isn't the primary factor. Whether or not it will work on your particular range is. Most stove brands have a canning element made specifically for them so you begin with stove brand name. Since part of the price is the brand name TM, you'll likely pay a bit more for them and the attached warranty, ability to return if it doesn't work, etc. rather than some generic model that may or may not work on your stove.

Beyond that the only real consideration is correct size and how well built, as in type of element supports it uses.

Dave

o
RE: Carol types faster

Hmmm - Carol types faster. :)

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 8, 12 at 16:37

Check here for appropriate canning elements for your stove, call them if not sure if will fit your model. I've ordered plenty of appliance parts from them over the years, including my canning element - quite happy with their service and prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Repair Clinic Example canning element

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here