Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrl_gw

Flat tops and Pressure Canning?

gardengrl
18 years ago

Well, my oven bit the big one last night and I'm looking for a new stove/oven. The previous one I had was an electic stove with the coil burners. I bought one of those reinforced burners for canning.

I'm now looking at a flat, ceramic stove top. I have a Presto Pressure canner (flat on bottom). I used it for both BWB and pressure canning.

Does anyone know if the flat-top stoves work for pressure canning? I know they work for BWB if the canner has a flat bottom (mine does).

How do they hold up to the weight of a canner filled with water & full jars?

Perspiring minds ya' know...

Comments (13)

• readinglady
    18 years ago

Here's one thread that provides some information.

I'm going to post a second message here about searching on GardenWeb Forums.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning on Flat-Top Stoves

• gardengrl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm hoping this will answer some long sought after questions regarding this issue...

O.k., I found out some awesome information. I'm looking at a Frigidaire electric, ceramic-top range. The largest burner on this range is 9".

I called the Frigidaire customer service department as I was mostly concerned about the heat limiting feature almost all ceramic/glass top ranges have. This feature allows the element to cycle on and off, even at HI setting, in order to prevent the ceramic/glass surface from cracking. I was concerned about consistent heat and the potential safety problems with canning.

The lady at Frigidaire told me that number one, I can can on a ceramic top range, AS LONG AS the canner does NOT exceed more than 1 inch in diameter from the burner I'm using. Number two, the element does cycle on and off, BUT maintains a constant temperature (much like your oven). It just simply keeps the burner element from staying full on the entire time; therefore, getting too hot. So canning is safe, even for the oven/range model I was looking for.

O.k., on to the next thing...what is the bottom diameter of my 23 qt Presto Canner?? I know the canner has an inside diameter and a separate diameter for the bottom plate that actually comes in contact with the burner; however, I couldn't find that information anywhere on the Web, even with the Presto Canner owner's manual I downloaded from the Presto website. I'm at work and couldn't just pull out my canner and measure...

So, again I picked up the phone and called Presto. The lady I spoke to there again reconfirmed, I CAN CAN on a ceramic/glass top stove. The bottom plate of my 23 qt canner is 8" (Whoo-hoo!). She said either a 7", 8", or 9" burner would work for my canner. BTW, the inside diameter of the canner is 12 1/4 inches.

So, since the largest burner on the range/oven I'm looking at is 9", it looks like I'm still in business!! Whoo-hooo!

Now, of course, this is for a Frigidaire product, so it doesn't necessarily apply to all appliances. Be sure to check with your manufacturer.

Whew!!!

• ceresone
    18 years ago

Humm--mine is also a frigidare--and they told me no--

• ksrogers
    18 years ago

My one year old Frigidaire electric stove is the conventional type with coil burners. Its oven element burned out after 13 months. Needless to say, I wasn't happy about that problem. I do plan to buy a spare oven element, should this problem happen again. The service man said that burned out was common if ANYTHING was spilled into the oven elements. Mine just happned to get a small spot of dripping from a pizza a few months before, but it was all cleaned up. The heating element basically crystalized and crumbled at the break.

• laura_sue
    18 years ago

I've never had problems with mine (a maytag) I've used it for 5 years to can on. Although this past year I started using a propane turkey fryer outside for canning. It heats up a lot faster and keeps the heat out of the house.

• annamayalleycat
    17 years ago

I've canned on my flat top stove and haven't had any problems,, I sure Hope I don't damage my stove.. now i'm a little worried... obtw,,, never never use a turkey frier to can with.. it is very very dangerious...

• jimrbto
    17 years ago

Please explain to me why a turkey frier is very very dangerous for canning!!

• silver_creek
    17 years ago

I have moved from inside canning this year to a two burner propane camp stove -Camp Chef- (much like the turkey fryers) and it even lists it at ideal for canning. And it is great; much faster than canning on my ancient electric coil burner stove (which has had to have 4 burner replacements due to the heavy canning use).

• readinglady
    17 years ago

I'd like to know also. I can't imagine why a turkey fryer would be dangerous for canning. Unless, of course, you mean in lieu of a pressure canner. Of course it's unsuited for low-acid, but anything done in a boiling water bath can certainly be done in a turkey fryer. Why not?

Carol

• daria
    17 years ago

I've used my Kenmore ceramic top stove for BWB canning quite a few times now with no ill affects (knock on wood). I didn't call anyone, and figured I'd been living dangerously...

My (hand me down, from my aunt) canner has a large burner sized flat bottom, which bevels up slightly and expands out to a larger sized pot (can accomodate 9 or 11 pints or quarts, I can't remember which). The part of the pot that sits on the stove is the same size as the burner, so it heats very evenly. There is an aluminum rack inside the pot so that all the jars are on the same level.

I haven't tried it yet for pressure canning but with any luck in the tomato area, I might have to soon. :)

Kind of like this:

:Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â :
    Â -------\________________/-------Â

• daria
    17 years ago

I've used my Kenmore ceramic top stove for BWB canning quite a few times now with no ill affects (knock on wood). I didn't call anyone, and figured I'd been living dangerously...

My (hand me down, from my aunt) canner has a large burner sized flat bottom, which bevels up slightly and expands out to a larger sized pot (can accomodate 9 or 11 pints or quarts, I can't remember which). The part of the pot that sits on the stove is the same size as the burner, so it heats very evenly. There is an aluminum rack inside the pot so that all the jars are on the same level.

I haven't tried it yet for pressure canning but with any luck in the tomato area, I might have to soon. :)

Kind of like this:

Â -------\________________/-------Â

• mellyofthesouth
    17 years ago

That's how the bottom of the presto pressure canner I have looks. They say that it is safe for glass top stoves.

• prairie_love
    17 years ago

I just bought a Presto canner (yipppee). The bottom also looks like that, the lower part measures 8", my burner is 9", and the instructions say it is safe for a glass top stove.

There was also an insert in the box, on a bright yellow flier, that said something about it being unsafe to use on turkey friers....I will look that up when I get home.

The only sad part for me is that I have been using the corrugated bottom BWB pot on my glass top stove, fully aware that I could damage the stove. To tell the truth, I was HOPING to damage my stove! I want a new stove.....

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus