Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you can tomato or spaghetti sauce using commercial tomatoes?

Posted by missemerald 7 (NorthernVirginia) (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 31, 11 at 13:26

I just have some questions-- every time I'm in Sam's I see these giant cans of tomatoes- crushed, whole, chopped, whatever. I was wondering, is it possible to use them in a recipe that is then canned (such as spaghetti sauce)? I know home grown is best and fresher... still, I wonder. Anyone ever tried this and how would you convert the ingredients? I was discussing this with a friend just recently and don't know the answer.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you can tomato or spaghetti sauce using commercial tomato

Sure you "can" but it isn't recommended or encouraged.

The question comes up now and then and as a general guideline, re-canning any commercially canned product is not recommended. This is because they contain additives and stabilizers, because the double processing markedly reduces the flavor and quality, and it is a really inefficient use of your time and the energy used for processing given the end result.

Your choice, but it would be far better to buy the large cans, parcel them up and freeze them.

Dave

o

Wish I could grow enough tomatoes to satisfy my canning needs, but live in a woods & have a small container garden. Boo hoo!

Sam's is where I buy my commercially canned tomatoes to make canned salsas etc. I've tried everything they sell and really like the Contadina ones.

Check the ingredients list in the 2nd photo & you decide if want to take the risk.

o

Seems to me there are recipes using the precanned tomatoes in Small Batch Preserving. I would have to look later.
Typically, the NCHFP does not recommend using the precanned tomatoes in recipes for canning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here