Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Joy of Pickling 1998 recipes safe?

2ajsmama
13 years ago

I have a 1998 version of Joy of Pickling, reviewed by food scientist at UCONN, but I was wondering if the recipes were considered safe by today's standards? I had gotten the newer version out of the library last summer, and didn't think any recipes has changed, but now am looking specifically at some pickled pepper recipes calling for olive oil. I made whole pickled jalapenos (page 142) last fall, just omitted the oil to be safe. But my cousin's fiance likes the marinated sweet peppers in oil he buys at the deli, I was wondering if page 135 recipe (and others calling for olive oil) are safe?

The marinated pepper recipe calls for 1 C of oil to be boiled with 1C of vinegar and 1.5 tsp salt, then poured over the peppers (2.25 lbs divided into 3 pints), with 1 clove of garlic in each jar. Leave 1/2" headspace and process for 10 minutes.

The whole pickled peppers recipe calls for 50/50 vinegar/water boiled and poured over the peppers (2 lbs divided into 4 pints) and garlic (2 "small cloves" per pint), and then only 1Tbsp of oil poured on top of each jar before processing 10 minutes.

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Are they safe? Probably. Have they changed? Can't say with seeing the whole recipe. I have the new edition so could compare it if you'd post the recipe.

Each recipe in a book that old usually has to be evaluated on its own merits, not the book as a whole. But oil in peppers is approved in a few tested recipes including the one on NCHFP so why not just use it? Note the amount of acid it calls for vs. yours.

Carol has also posted links to a few of the other approved recipes with oil in some of the many other pickled or marinated peppers discussions here.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Marinated Peppers

• Linda_Lou
    13 years ago

The link Dave sent is more safe since it has bottled lemon juice. The bottled lemon juice is twice as acidic as vinegar. It tastes not as tart, though.
    I would stick with the USDA recipe.

• readinglady
    13 years ago

All the Joy of Pickling recipes follow USDA standards. Additionally, they were vetted by staff at Oregon State Extension and a professor emeritus of Food Science at the University of Connecticut.

Personally, I have no qualms about using any of the recipes from either edition. The publication date of the earlier edition is still recent enough, and a similar marinated peppers with vinegar version is also available on some Extension websites. It is also available in the new edition of Joy of Pickling.

When I bought the new edition I passed the previous one on to Annie. Neither of us had a problem with that. But it is, of course, an individual decision.

I have a problem with both marinated pepper recipes aside from the safety issue and that is canning this sort of thing in oil is incredibly messy. If you are not extremely careful to get every speck of oil off the rim you will have seal failures. I clean the rims with a paper towel moistened with white vinegar rather than water.

Additionally, I found the shelf life shorter than with regular peppers as the oil over time turns rancid.

So personally, I found this whole process a loser and cut it from my canning repertoire. I can get better results by marinating peppers in vinaigrette after opening the jar and have full latitude for any combination of oil, garlic, etc. that I wish.

Carol

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mark said he had problems canning in oil too, didn't mention seal failures but rancidity. Maybe it's best just to roast and freeze the peppers, thaw and marinate them as desired? Or marinate and freeze?

Thanks for confirming the recipe didn't change. I didn't want to have to wait for book to be sent from another library (esp. since they cut funding for the interlibrary loan program, might not even be able to get it this year).

Kay sent me this edition when she got the new one, I should have asked her if it changed, but I wanted to double-check that it was up to modern safety standards. I figured standards might have changed since (the late) Dr. Hall reviewed it 12 yrs ago.

• readinglady
    13 years ago

Some things have changed, but I have not noted changes with that recipe.

However, I agree with Linda_Lou regarding the advantages of using lemon juice and if I were inclined to make the recipe again, I'd probably go that direction for the reasons she mentioned.

You can always email Linda Ziedrich regarding questions about her recipes. She has posted here on occasion and that may be a better choice than any secondhand opinion like mine.

Her blog address has changed. If you go to the About section, her email is listed.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Linda Ziedrich A Gardener's Table

• picklelady
    13 years ago

I tweaked a lot of recipes before publishing the second edition, not because they were unsafe but usually for clarity. On the advice of an Extension agent, however, I did add more vinegar to a raw eggplant pickle before the second printing of the first edition.
    I haven't had oil go rancid in sealed jars, but Carol is right that you have to be careful in using oil to avoid causing seals to fail, and that you can just as well add fresh oil when after opening the jar. So feel free to omit the teaspoon or so of oil added to any pickle that's to be vacuum-sealed.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Linda! I omitted the oil in the Whole Pickled Peppers (used red and green jalapenos in white wine vinegar), DH really liked them. I will copy out the marinated pepper recipe and give it to Mark, let him see if he likes it as well as store-bought. We started an awful lot of seeds last week (peppers and tomatoes).

• readinglady
    13 years ago

Thanks, Linda. I really have enjoyed your Jardiniere and Giardiniera recipes. It's a pleasure to see them on the shelf.

In fairness, IIRC, the rancidity issue occurred with product stored in the garage. Even though our garage is well-insulated, I think the exposure to light and the fluctuation of temperature may have contributed to a higher rate of degradation.

Of course last year we didn't have a summer, so it wasn't an issue! (And nothing much to can either.)

Carol

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH