Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Sad day, I had to put down my 20+ year old crock pot...

It has had a crack in it for about 4 years and it finally leaked yesterday, so I put it down. Made my wife happy, me sad. Shes only been around 7 years, I'm more attached to my crock pot. : )

So now I'm in the market for a new 7 or 8 quart replacement. Big enough for a turkey breast.

Any recommendations? I've been researching and there are so many choices! Programmable sounds good for beans soaked over night, but expensive, and no good for anything with meat or other things that would spoil. Plus I would rather rinse my soaked beans and put in fresh water before cooking.

I also want a high heat setting on it.

Comments (9)

• nancyofnc
    12 years ago

I really like my $25-ish 6 quart Hamilton Beach "Stay or Go" slow cooker (bought at Target). Mine came with an insulated cover for taking it elsewhere and with the clasps it will not spill, ever. If I had to buy something else, I'd go with their new $50-ish 8 quart slow cooker (has latches too).

I'm with you - I have no need for a scary programmable slow cooker either.

I am sure others will chime in for you to buy a Nesco roaster oven but they jump from 6 quart to 12 quart (no 8), and are $60 or $125.

Nancy

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    12 years ago

If I needed a new one, then I think that would go for one of the new slow cooker/pressure cooker combos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fagor Multi Cooker

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

I did go with the Fagor a few months ago and love it - the browning feature is great although most meats in the quantities you would be slo or pressure cooking have to be done in two batches. I still find it nicer to have a plate to wash over a separate skillet though :) And - My larger pressure cookers are stored in the basement and not completely handy when I want them.

On days when I'm not especially organized (and I have a few of those) when I've wanted dinner ready at dinner time and was going to be gone in the late afternoon - but had not started slow cooking something earlier in the day...I've set it to pressure cook a few minutes, then reset to slo cook on low till time I wanted to serve....tenderizing inexpensive meats further than the 'keep warm' feature would do.

But it is only 6 qt. Nesco makes an identical product - I went with the Fagor because its an inch smaller in diameter, allowing it to be stored on a 12" kitchen cupboard shelf, with the door closed :)

I was looking for a replacement to my 70's era West Bend bean pot style crockpot that had been a faithful kitchen help most of my adult life and got distracted by the multi-function appliance. What I kept finding in reviews is that the newer slow cookers cook hotter than the old, surprising some of us who were used to the really slow cooking.

• denninmi
    12 years ago

I hope you had the vet do it humanely, didn't take it out in the backyard with a shotgun ;-)

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jxbrown, I wish you hadn't posted that link.... My non-cooking wife was looking over my shoulder and she wanted it. Long story short I ordered it. LOL

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Much easier than a stove top pressure cooker and much easier to clean!

First thing I tried was dried beans, I soaked them about 4 hours, set it on 3 minutes pressure cooking. Perfect and didn't have to watch over them.

Then I tried a ham,just washed it put it in the pot, put a can of Manderine oranges with the juice in and set it. Perfect too and so tender!

Of course, my non-cooking wife gloated!!

• green_grandma
    12 years ago

Agreed on the Fagor. I'm having very good look with a Fagor 6 quart which I received last Christmas.

• AaronRWise
    12 years ago

I just got a Hamilton Beach slow cooker - 6 qt with clasps to keep the lid on tight if I'm taking it anywhere. The programable part is GREAT. I can load it up in the morning, tell it to cook at low or high for a set period of time and then it automatically goes to warm. This is great, because I don't know what time I'll be home. Mine also has a probe so I can tell it to cook the roast to rare and then it will go to warm.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've read the instruction manual over and over on the Fagor. I also went to their website.

I can't find an answer on a question I have. It goes in to warm mode when it finishes it's time on whatever it's programmed for. But it beeps ever few seconds and never stops! Anything I'm missing?

I can't stand the beeping, nor can my wife.