Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scatmanrav

Canning low acid spaghetti sauce

scatmanrav
15 years ago

Im getting into canning but ive used a pressure cooker before. I made spaghetti sauce without following any guidelines, a little oil in it, lots of veggies (blended up in the end) and no meat. A little acid was added just for taste (vinagers, lemon juice, wine). I thought that I could just can it until coming across this forum, now I'm not sure it will be safe. There wasnt much oil, just enough to saute the veggies..

Im confused though, why can we pressure can some low acid tomato products, and other low acid foods like chicken broth (another thing I plan to can) but we have to worry so much about what goes into spaghetti sauce? I could pressure can a hunk of meat and it would last but not some pureed veggies? Maybe that referred to hot water bath canning, which of course isnt as safe but if I use a P.C.?

I understand with the varied thickness of the sauce the PC time can change, but will it hurt to pressure cook it for to long? Couldnt I just do it for 30-60 minutes and then everything would be safe.

I know I can freeze it, I'm trying to save freezer space. Thanks in advance!

Comments (14)

• digdirt2
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

why can we pressure can some low acid tomato products, and other low acid foods like chicken broth (another thing I plan to can) but we have to worry so much about what goes into spaghetti sauce?

2 reasons: (1) is the oil - oil is prohibited except in a very few tested and approved recipes because it insulates botulism spores and prevents the heat - even the PC heat - from killing them, and

(2) all the other vegetables used reduce the acidity of the sauce. They are all low acid vegetables so you have no way of knowing what the end product pH is as you would with plain tomatoes. And several of them - garlic and onions especially - are high on the botulism potential list.

This doesn't mean that you cannot pressure can spaghetti sauce - sure you can - but it has to be a tested recipe with an tested processing time. (Linked below)

Honestly, your dilemma is a common one and often discussed here and a search will pull up many relevant discussions. Many don't can't accept that if X is ok in one situation that doesn't mean it is ok in all situations. It is a safety issue and to a degree we have to accept that the food scientists have reasons for those rules. And the #1 rule is that you cannot safely can your own recipes.

In theory, sure, anyone could pressure can anything they wanted for 3-4 hours and likely be safe. Of course the taste and texture of the end result would be destroyed but it would probably be safe. Probably. What if it wasn't? How would you know? Is it really work the risk?

As we always say here, it is your risk to take, but for most of us the risks associated with using unapproved, untested recipes just isn't worth it when it is so easy to use approved ones. ;)

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Spaghetti Sauce

• Linda_Lou
    15 years ago

As I always say, there are cooking recipes and canning recipes. The two are NOT the same. You need to follow a safe, tested recipe for all foods. The ph and density determine how long, and what method is used for processing. Only the tested recipes have all the factors included in the processing of a food.
    If you want your own recipe, you need to freeze it.
    People think when they buy a pressure canner they can process whatever they want. That is not true, sorry.
    Also, you cannot safely can in a pressure cooker. A cooker and canner are two different types of pans. Unless it holds at least 4 quart sized jars, it is not safe to can in.
    Buy your self a current copy of the Ball Blue book and it will help you out. That and the NCFHFP.
    There is also a free online course to take that is really great.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCFHFP

• wcthomas
    15 years ago

All of Dave's advice above is absolutely correct for maximum safety.

That said, in my humble opinion the fear of botulism is somewhat over done. Just because something can happen does not mean it actually is happening. Of the 70 cases of botulism reported to the CDC in the USA during the 10 year period from 1990 -2000, only one case was related to home canned tomato products, and that was tomato juice. This in spite of the fact that tomato products such as sauces and salsa are very popular among home canners.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol10no9/03-0745.htm

You have to decide your own risk level. Personally I would can it and bring it to a boil before eating it. While the botulinum spores are difficult to kill, the toxin itself is readily destroyed by boiling for 15 minutes. Just my opinion.

TomNJ

• Linda_Lou
    15 years ago

Huh, there is a current botulism case right now in Wa. state. A mother on a ventilator, and her 2 children. So, you think it is over rated ? How would you feel if this happened to you or your loved ones? Would it be over rated then ?
    It can cause death or permanent paralysis.
    There can be a point in which boiling the toxin may not destroy all of it.
    Do you take into consideration that you may cross contaminate something. Perhaps a dishcloth, or a drip on the stove, on a potholder, or a spoon.... Not as safe perhaps as you feel.

• scatmanrav
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is a canner, it holds about 15 quarts..I just call it a cooker.

Thanks for the info, I use my PC to sterilize things all the time, but not food, for my purposes I can usually just cook it for hours, and that will kill anything..but I didnt really know how food/sauce would turn out. I thought maybe in a sealed jar the texture wouldnt be affected by a long cook time but after reading alot more I do, and I'm just going to freeze this batch. Although I do think that it would be safe, thinking it is not good enough for me, my wife, and daughter.

I just like fancy sauces and using up things in my fridge in my sauce..Ill have to can a basic recipe though and jazz it up at a later time when I open it. At least getting all this chicken stock out of my freezer will help.

• wcthomas
    15 years ago

Hi Linda Lou,

The botulism case in WA is related to green beans - my comments were specific to tomato products. I have searched and searched and cannot find a single case of botulism related to home canned tomato sauce or salsa for decades. If anyone knows of any cases I may have missed, please post them.

The statement "How would you feel if this happened to you or your loved ones?" is the exact fear argument that I find throughout the Internet. It is a safe argument because there is no answer to it, but it also applies to car accidents, slipping in the shower, falling down stairs, and every other danger we encounter in our daily lives. It fails to take into account the probability of the event, which is critical to determining our personal balance between quality of life and danger.

I tend to judge danger by statistics, and the statistics I have found suggest that pressure cooking an acidified tomato sauce is relatively safe. Absolutely 100% safe? - no, but what is? And since the botulinum toxin is destroyed at 176F, boiling the sauce for 15 minutes before consuming pushes it well into my personal safety zone.

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating people ignore the NCHFP guidelines, or for that matter giving any advice at all. I respect the position you, Dave, and others take in advising others on canning as you provide the route to methods considered most safe, and this is valuable to those who wish the maximum level of safety possible. But there are others who may have a slightly different quality/safety balance who may appreciate knowing the statistics and probability for this disease.

TomNJ

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Tom, the problem with relying on probability and statistics, as any statistician will tell you, is that they both have artificially constructed and often misinterpreted applications.

Sure they play a role in life, but it is an artificial one. Using them to make one's life or death choices/decisions when safe, viable alternatives are available is little more than gambling.

Unlike many of the potential hazards in life that are beyond our control, what and how we can/process food for our family is NOT. So why "play the odds" when the food in question is merely being preserved for convenience reasons and when safe, tested alternatives are readily available.

Life has risks but when possible, we can choose which ones we will take with care. ;)

Dave

• greenhouser2
    15 years ago

I want to thank you for speaking up on this issue. The new guidelines for adding so much Citric Acid ruined my tomato sauce. No one likes it after all the work that went into it. Adding sugar doesn't help. I'm buying sauce to mix half and half with it for our meals, just to use it up. People can taste the bitterness or sourness (had them make both judgments) and don't care for it. I don't either. This summer I'm canning them as I always have - as is. I gently boil the sauce for 10 to 15 minutes anyway before use so am not worried about botulism. It's either that or stop canning tomatoes altogether. I'm speaking only for myself and this is not meant as advice to anyone.

What I also wonder about is since the sauce is boiled down some before it's canned, how would any spores survive the boiling temperatures, plus the heat of the canner before it even comes close to cooling off between the pot and canning jars/canner?

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

What I also wonder about is since the sauce is boiled down some before it's canned, how would any spores survive the boiling temperatures, plus the heat of the canner before it even comes close to cooling off between the pot and canning jars/canner?

As has been explained several times before greenhouser, a hard boil of 20 mins. at 212 degrees destroys any toxin. It does NOT kill the spores. That takes either: (1) 240 degrees under pressure for 20 mins. and acidification is still recommended or (2) an very acidic pH to prevent their growth and the production of any toxin.

Citric acid has no flavor, no taste. It makes the food more acid and it is that increased acidity you are tasting but since the guidelines only require 1/4 teaspoon per pint, 1/2 teaspoon per quart it is clearly not much of a difference.

Try using lemon juice instead, many prefer it. And of course taste the sauce before canning it.

Dave

• Linda_Lou
    15 years ago

If you buy commercial tomato sauce it will also have citric acid. Personally, I can't see you will gain anything by doing that. They put it in all tomato products, except for some brands of tomato paste, if I remember correctly. Check the labels in the stores, you will see it is indeed included in those cans.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    15 years ago

Hi Linda lou...I just checked my cupboards and citric acid is in my Muir Glen Organic fire roasted diced tomatoes, Rotel Mexican Style Diced tomatoes (even though have lime juice) and Hunts 6 oz canned tomato paste.

I happen to love lemon and tomato, & like my own home canned best of all - although clearly I'm not opposed to sale priced commercial brands :) Home canned have such a clean bright flavor, but I don't think I've ever had anyone complain about a dish I've used any type canned tomatoes in no matter what the origin.

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

The original subject mentions 'low acid spagetti sauce'. This tells me that the sauce does not have enough acid to be canned safely. 'High acid' tomato sauce is a better way to go for safe home canning.

• katevehoo_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have to admit after reading these boards I figured my weekend foray into salsa, tomato sauce and marinara has been nothing less than a sure death sentence to my family. I not only failed to choose a "tested" recipe for marinara I actually sauteed my onions and garlic in olive oil.

I do appreciate the "stats" on botulism - -my worried brain was really stressing. On the one hand I was thinking it is food . . .Why would I ever take a chance? Then the other side of my brain pondered how folks before 1990 didn't all perish from those old untested recipes. And I have to admit after reading the US Government's warning concerning raw milk - -and then finding a fresh from the farm source and finding it both delicious and safe, and frankly more healthful since the dairy cows actual eat grass I have come to doubt some of the government's recommendations. IMHO eating corn feed beef is farm more dangerous than drinking raw milk! Yet according to the USDA I am partaking in a dangerous activity and feedlots are safe.