Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbmag_gw

Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipe for Canning

jbmag
13 years ago

Happy Spring everyone!

We've just been gifted with a very large can of pineapple juice. I'd love to make some sweet and sour sauce with it as our family loves it but I rarely keep pineapple juice in my pantry to make it with. The recipe we love has no tomatoes and uses pineapple juice, soy sauce and red wine vinegar as its base (somewhat of a cross between sweet and sour and teriyaki). I would like to find a safe recipe for canning that is somewhat comparable to the one we like as a family but can't find one in my canning books. Does anyone have one they'd be willing to share?

Many thanks!

jennifer

Comments (10)

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Given the acidity of the pineapple it is possible that your recipe would be safe to use but we'd have to see the entire recipe to know. What do you normally use instead of the tomatoes?

I would assume you are using some sort of thickener in it? That's the problem. Clear Jel would work for that but not corn starch or other thickeners.

And if you have Small Batch preserving there are some possible recipes to adapt in it although most of them are for the fridge.

Dave

But you can always make your own recipe and freeze it. No safety issues there.

• jbmag
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good point about the freezing. I'd still rather can it if possible... I really enjoy canning and there's something extremely satisfying about seeing all those jars on shelves in the basement!

This is the recipe:

1/2 c brown sugar
    1 T cornstarch
    1/3 c red wine vinegar
    1/3 c pineapple juice
    1 T soy sauce
    1/4 t fresh minced garlic
    1/4 t ground ginger

I do appreciate your opinion on the safety of the recipe as-is. It's our favorite sauce. I am assuming I would use half the amount of clear-jel instead of the cornstarch?

Thanks so much!

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

It's probably acidic enough - but without the cornstarch. Add the cornstarch after opening. That is easy enough to do.

You'll have to guess at the processing time as with any made up recipe and I am not usually comfortable with doing that. I guess if I had to do it I'd use the 15 min. required for most of the other acidic fruit sauces but that comes with no tested guarantees.
    The Clear Jel question I can't really help with as I cut Clear Jel by half to begin with if and when I use it as it is just too thick for my tastes. I can pie fillings and such without any thickener and add my preferred thickener - cornstarch - after opening when I can control the thickness I want.

I agree with you on the appearance and enjoyment part of the canning. But some things just can't be canned no matter how much we may want to do it. And when there is a safety question about it, I'm not usually willing to trade safety for either of them. Especially when freezing is readily available and has no safety issues. It's your choice. :)

Dave

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

Why not try making a batch with the clearjel and see how it comes out (to be consumed fresh).
    If you like the texture, proceed with canning if you choose to estimate your processing time. This "seems" to have plenty of acid for the small amount of low-acid stuff, but there's really no way to know. I've been looking for a sweet and sour recipe to can for some time and just haven't found one. Some that "seem" OK, but nothing from an approved source so I'm not doing it.

You could just freeze the pineapple juice and make it as needed too. I like seeing the jars too, but not if I'm not comfortable with the recipe. Pretty isn't worth our health in my opinion.

As Dave said, your decision.

Deanna

• readinglady
    13 years ago

Probably there's not a safety issue, though the operative word is "probably." I suppose pie filling would be similar in viscosity and acidity.

The issue I have, beyond the fact that it's an unknown, is that it's so simple to make, why spend money on processing? Even if you have the jars, you're spending for lids, heat, and your time. That adds up to a whole lot more than the potential waste of a partial can of pineapple juice (which could be frozen in amounts equal to one batch of sauce).

Carol

• jbmag
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to everyone for your tips and advise. I didn't think about dividing up the pineapple juice into small portions and freezing just that so I have it on hand. One of those obvious things that I completely missed!

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
    jennifer

• chefsguige
    12 years ago

I have a recipe for sweet and sour sauce its garlic arbol peppers red green yellow bell peppers ketchup pineapple juice vinegar and brown sugar. I have a pressure canner how long do i can it for and what psi any help would be great thanks respond here or email me at bhazejohnson@yahoo.com

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

how long do i can it for and what psi any help would be great

As explained above it is unknown. Never been tested or researched. All you could do is guess.

So unless you are comfortable with the risks of guessing when it comes to canning there is no way to do it.

• readinglady
    12 years ago

Not only that, we don't know amounts or specific ingredients. In other words, dried peppers don't present the same issues as fresh peppers do. Low-acid ingredients in miniscule amounts are not as risky as they would be in larger amounts.

Carol

• chefsguige
    12 years ago

I read a sight some where thaat said to properly can sweet and sour sauce you have to set your pressure canner at 10 psi and can your sauce for 30 minutes now I live at high altitude do I have to up the psi or cook it longer let me know

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012