Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another canned dry beans question

Posted by john__showme__usa 5/6 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 15, 11 at 15:43

Is it normal for a gelatinous/waxy layer to form on top when the jars cool? I've been experimenting with liquid to bean ratio and if I'm heavy on the side of liquid it doesn't happen.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another canned dry beans question

Those are lovely beans. In my experience, yes, though it does seem to vary from variety to variety. I'm speculating it's a consequence of the natural starches.

Carol

o
RE: Another canned dry beans question

Ate one of the red bean pints last night and the bean flavor was incredible. Only used a scant 1/4 tsp canning salt instead of 1/2 tsp because don't like too much salt. Am amazed at how much the bean flavors differ from variety to variety.

Still several varieties to can before I start tweaking. Some chopped onion might help w/o changing the original intent.... I want to can the beans to add to something else for a meal.

Batches ea of lentils, black beans and pinto beans will be next.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here