Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxbarbie

list for reusable jars

mxbarbie
16 years ago

lets start a list of food brands that use jars with threads that fit standard or wide mouth lids and rings. Also would be helpful to know if they hold up to pressure canning.

so far I've used these:

kraft miracle whip 950ml (standard) BWB

classico sauces (standard) BWB

Comments (26)

• kayskats
    16 years ago

I use the small Classico jars -- buy them filled with pesto. Although I must inform all that Classico does not recommend canning in their jars -- they said there's some kind of coating on them ... and others on this forum have said that the threads are slightly off. I haven't found this so, but I have not used the larger jars.

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

As far as I know the Classico sauce jars (stamped with the Mason brand) are the only jars (other than the jars sold as such) that are considered safe to use for canning.

I know that the Kraft mayo and Miracle Whip jars are NOT considered safe for pressure canning and not generally recommended for BWB canning but can be used for high acid foods if necessary. I realize people use them but I would not recommend their use to anyone new to canning or inexperienced with it. Of course, each person has to determine their own level of acceptable risk.

Per NCHFP: Most commercial pint- and quart-size mayonnaise or salad dressing jars may be used with new two-piece lids for canning acid foods. However, you should expect more seal failures and jar breakage. These jars have a narrower sealing surface and are tempered less than Mason jars, and may be weakened by repeated contact with metal spoons or knives used in dispensing mayonnaise or salad dressing. Seemingly insignificant scratches in glass may cause cracking and breakage while processing jars in a canner. Mayonnaise-type jars are not recommended for use with foods to be processed in a pressure canner because of excessive jar breakage. Other commercial jars with mouths that cannot be sealed with two-piece canning lids are not recommended for use in canning any food at home.

The safest and best route is to stick with the jars made expressly for home canning. ;)

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Recommended Jars and Lids

• kayskats
    16 years ago

Pretty soon, we won't have to worry about mayo jars ... For the past few months, I cannot find mayo in a glass jar -- just plastic. I suppose it's all in my head, but I think it tastes better in glass.
    kay

• afeisty1
    16 years ago

I had one mayonnaise jar break on me in a BWB and that was enough for me to never use them in canning again. I do keep them for leftovers or refrigerator pickles. I've noticed too, they are all in plastic containers now.

I haven't had any problems canning in the classico jars.

• melva02
    16 years ago

Do some Harry & David products come in mason jars? I have a square jar that holds about 12 oz. and I think it came from either Harry & David or Classico. It has roasted red pepper spread in it right now.

Melissa

• mxbarbie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've used mayo jars and never had a problem, but so far only for beet pickles (not too long processing) I would still like to know what other jars have compatable lid sizes for other uses - such as crafts & gifts. I give away layered soup mixes and cookie mixes etc for gifts and am always looking for cheap or free jars that I can use the fancy printed rings with.

• mellyofthesouth
    16 years ago

Harry & David used to use jars that fit standard lids. They changed them a few years ago. I liked that 12 oz size and hoard the few that I have. In europe, Barilla sells some roasted peppers and other antipasto type things in them. That brand costs more than a comparable size in a lug type jar so I still end up paying for the jar.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Any glass mayo jar I tried to use, has cracked during the processing. SOme have had no problems, but if they all crak for me, they are not good. Guess my heat process is hotter than a BWB?? The mayo jars have about half the thickness of glass. Also, today, many are plastic. When I go to Big Lots, one in a while I come across an interesting food in a good looking jar, that could be used for canning. Bu its very important to consider that the canning lid and ring be compatable. Reusing a jar lid just because it does fit is a no no. If it were a good way to save money, I would be collecting thousands of lids to reuse by now.

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Anyone know if the "drinking jars" have standard threads? I can't remember if they even HAVE threads.

These are the ones that look like a standard pint, but with a handle.

They sure would be cute for gifts with soup or juices in them.

Deanna

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Ball sells that mug type jar, I see them sold, but are without any lids I think. Check Goodmans or Kithen Krafts. On the last two pages of jar listings at Goodmans, there is a brand of jar that is like a drinking glass with a plastic lid. Not suitable for canning, but would probably be great for freezer jellies.

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Thanks Ken. I can get the jars locally, I just can't remember if they have threads or not.

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

OK, big DUH on my part. I went and looked online and it appears that they do have threads, but everything I saw says NOT to use for canning (thinner glass maybe???). Hmmm.

Still, they would be great for dry soup mixes, cookie mixes, hot cocoa, etc. Although one site even said not to use with hot stuff (huh?).

Deanna

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

There is a freezer type plastic jelly jar too. I don't like putting any glass in my freezer, as I always think its going to break if the contents expand too much.

• melva02
    16 years ago

Deanna, aren't those drinking jars mason jars, made by the same few companies? I would expect them to be the same thickness, but maybe the handle provides a weaker spot for the glass to break. Oh, or maybe the handle is blown out from the wall so it's thinner in that spot.

I would feel comfortable testing one of those in the canning pot with a batch of juice in regular jars (Shirley's tomato juice cocktail?). I don't like to take any chances with low-acid food so I guess I wouldn't put soup in them...plus if they're not designed for canning the pressure canner is obviously more risky.

Melissa

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Again, the site for the drinking mugs, which are made by Ball, and Kerr, is made by Ball too. Doesn't mention any lids, bt from the photos, they look like they have the regular threads. The site also offers a salt and pepper version, but dosn't mention the size.

Here is a link that might be useful: Goodmans

• fedup321
    16 years ago

I did have a set of the handle type pint jars. Only have 3 left, and I do use them for canning. All three had Annies Salsa in them....BWB..No problem with them!!

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Good to know that. Nice collector item for those who give gifts. An instant mug after use! Might be nice to further remind the receipient of a jar of your goodies that they would like to be sent home when empty...

• zabby17
    16 years ago

fedup,

Thanks for sharing -- that's good to know! I have one of those drinking jars --- I think it's stamped Golden Harvest --- and it has standard threads but since it was marked not to use for canning I never have. But I might try some of them for fun some time in the BWB (with a low-effort contents JUST in case they do break).

Would be fun to give away with strawberry lemonade in them, say...

Z

• shirleywny5
    16 years ago

I have used Marshmellow Fluff and Maria's dressing jars in the HWB. The standard lids and rings fit. The printing on the Maria's is permanent however.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

I think because of the different mass size, the glass handles would weaken if exposed to processing temperatures. Nothing worse than picking up a filled mug of hot coffee, only to be left with just holding just the handle. The marshmallow fluff here is in plastc as is peanut butter and mayo jars.

• shirleywny5
    16 years ago

Ken, My Fluff jars are from way back.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Shirleywny5,
    Looks like your stocking up on old jars.. When is the antique shop opening? I gave away about 200 wire bail type jars with glass lids, about 12 years ago. Imagine, they still sell the gaskets for these too, but who uses them anymore? Some of the very old greenish color glass jars were collectables. Fluff used to be made locally here.

• shirleywny5
    16 years ago

Ken, As I said, I have used them in the past along with mayo jars when I first started canning and didn't have a lot of money. Now, I use only regular canning jars. The only exception is the Classico jars which I like for my pickles. The 24oz size is perfect. I do still have a case of never used wide mouth quart jars with the bail. I have some of the colored glass ones too.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Look at eBay it may be that someone is also selling the older greenish glass ones. All the ones my dad had were very old and some had wires that were rusted beyond any use. He would shove some cardboard under the wires, if the glass lids were loose fitting. Many of them were made with very different sized glass molds so you were always trying to get jars paired off with their lids. My steam canner dislikes any commercial jars from mayo or other thinner glass jars. It may be that there is a very big differnce in temperatures during the much faster heat up process, from when the hot jars are placed in there and the very short time it takes to get the small amount of water boiling. Steam is quite hot and can cause sudden thermal shock. At a company I worked for, they had a polariscope that was used to look at stress marks in glass. The reason they had to do this was the glass was attached/fused to metal. Some of these metals and glas types needed several dfferent grades of glass to allow for different expansion rates. Needless to say its a science I don't wish to get into here.

• pearlady
    15 years ago

I have numerous Mason 20oz-ers that say they are Sculptured Glass Refrigerator and Freezer jars. Would they be alright to can in? They need to bath 45 minutes.

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

About all you can do is try them. If standard canning lids and rings attach properly, that will help. Any emobossed writing is usualy intended for beauty or a way to identify the jar if there was no paper label on it. In your case they say refrigerator or freezer but not home canning, so its up to you to try that. You may want to try a dry run with the jars just filled with water and see how well they hold up to a canner heat.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!