Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marmalade - in smaller quantities

Posted by cabrita 9b SoCal (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 10, 11 at 16:30

Different technique than what I described in the thread on large batches of marmalade.

Very different outcome too. Brightly colored marmalade which is much milder and sweeter than my previous recipe. They come out very firm without having to add any pectin. I think the water soak of the thinly sliced fruit releases lots of pectin. These two were good sellers at our private urban farmers market.

MEYERS MARMALADE

I started with a recipe for Meyer's marmalade that called for 6 cups quartered, cored and thinly sliced meyers lemons, 6 cups water and 6 cups sugar.

Then I changed it slightly to a 7-6-6 cup fruit-water-sugar ratio, plus a pinch of salt.

After the fruit is sliced, cored and pips removed, add water and refrigerate overnight (or for a few hours).

Cook for 30 minutes, add sugar, and cook until gel stage. BWB for 10 min.

This made 12 half pints.

MINNEOLA MARMALADE

7 1/2 cups quartered and thinly sliced minneolas, cored and pips removed.
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced quartered meyers lemons
6 cups water
6 cups sugar
pinch salt

Prepare as in previous recipe. Made 19 half pints.

I have started to prepare a mixed citrus marmalade which will probably make 20-24 half pints. Will post proportions and outcome some time in the next few days.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marmalade - in smaller quantities

I can't wait to try this recipe........Thanks

o
RE: Marmalade - in smaller quantities

I hope you enjoy it ruthie.

I made two more batches this last weekend. I made a change to the minneola marmalade which consisted of adding two cups of the minneola juice. The end product was fruitier, less sweet (still plenty sweet) and I liked it better. The disadvantage was that I had to cook it a bit longer to reach the gel stage.

I also made a mixed citrus marmalade in the same way and using these proportions:

MIXED CITRUS MARMALADE:
3 1/2 cups thinly sliced quartered, cored navel oranges
2 1/2 cups thawed grapefruit chunks, blended
1 cup thinly sliced and cored meyers lemons, pips removed
1/2 cup thinly sliced eureka lemon

soaked in 6 cups water overnight or for a few hours

boil 30 minutes, add 3 cups minneola juice and 6 cups sugar. Boil until gel stage and can in half pint jars.

This took longer to boil to gel stage and the marmalade is still not solid after 3-4 days. It is getting thicker though, so I think it will gel soon. However, to avoid the anxiety in future batches, I will use less liquid (less of the juice) and more of the peel/pulp.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here