Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frozen snow peas were inedible...why?

Posted by coffeehaus 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 6, 11 at 16:49

We were fortunate to have a banner year for snow peas last year, both spring and fall plantings (Oregon Giant and Oregon Sugar Pod II). What we couldn't eat or share with friends, I processed by the proscribed 2 min. blanch/ice water bath method per USDA. I then spread the peas out on a towel to dry for a few hours before freezing them in zip lock bags. A couple of months ago, I fixed the first of the frozen peas for dinner, and with the first bite, I spit it out because it tasted so awful! Thinking that it was an anomaly, I tried another bag of peas...same thing. They are all now in the compost. :(
Any ideas on what I did wrong or what alternatives exist for enjoying my harvest?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frozen snow peas were inedible...why?

I then spread the peas out on a towel to dry for a few hours before freezing them in zip lock bags.

You won't find that step in the instructions any where and that's your problem. Why did you do that?

The foods are to be frozen immediately after blanching and ice water cooling. If you don't want them to stick together then you can arrange them on a cookie sheet and place it is the freezer immediately after draining them out of the ice water. Let them freeze on the cookie sheet for 1 hour and then put them in baggies.

Dave

o

Aha! So, my misguided idea to dry them first is the culprit. At least I can still hold out hope for preserving this year's harvest which is just starting to germinate from my Feb. planting. I will freeze the peas on a cookie sheet, as you suggest, then package them.
Thanks, Dave.

o

I tend to think the blanching time might not have been right, also. Peas are a learn-by-doing thing, too little blanching and they taste like cardboard, too much and they're mush. I prefer steam blanching for snap and snow peas, and I give them a shake to mix every 30 seconds or so during steaming. Using steam in small batches, it takes almost 3 minutes for snap peas at my elevation (2700 ft). I chill them over ice just until I can handle them, pack them into bags and freeze right away. Try again, they can be really good!

o

Planatus...these peas didn't just taste like cardboard...they were bitter and nasty, which leads me to believe that Dave is right about freezing them immediately to remedy my mistake.
But I will experiment this year with steam blanching. I've got a huge pasta pot with an insert that should work well for that. Also, I will try vacuum packing them after they are frozen, as I now have a Food Saver.
Thanks for your input!

o

Before you go all out, try small batches. 1 ziploc at a time, and eat it a couple days after freezing. Sacrfice some of those early harvests. Better to find out what will work before you are faced with massive amounts of peas that need immediate processing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here