Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skye_tx

Came by to say hi and Made Annie's Salsa

skye_tx
17 years ago

HEy everyone - I only wander by about once a year do you may not remember me.

I just got done making Annies Salsa with some tweaks of course. I hope these are ok. I used just undera cup of lime juice cause we like lime... I topped that with apple cider vinagar to make a cup and just because I am paranoid I added another half cup of apple cider vinegar. My salsa ended up runnie because the tomatoes were REALLY juicy and were frozen from last summer. BUt I like it that way. I didnt put the paste or sauce in it, but I am taking my chances there, we dont like the taste of sauce or paste. I am hoping there is enough heat.... I was afraid to put too many jalapenos cause I am a wimp. hot from the pot it tasted very limey but a lot like the restaurants we like. I hope hubby likes it. My batch ended up making 5 jars(quart I think) with a little for tasting left over. I was real lucky that was exactly how many jars I had and how many will fit in the canner. OH - I used a BWB - hence the 1 cup of lime juice/vinegar.

FOrgive my aweful typeing - I am using hubbys laptop and cant type to save my life on it.

Serena

Comments (11)

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Resturant types usually add fresh cilantro and thats one of the best flavors in salsa.

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Serena, I hope you like it. I only added the paste for texture because I like mine thick and chunky.

Lime is fine in place of vinegar, it's even more acidic than vinegar is, so enjoy that salsa.

Annie

• skye_tx
    Original Author
    17 years ago

IT turned out really good- but talk about ACIDY. I dont expect this stuff to go back yikes. It has a great flavor but dang near leaves blisters in my mouth.

Serena

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

If I were to do more salsa, I would either use lime OR cider vinegar. Both tend to make it almost unbearable, unless its loaded with lots of mild peppers and onions, then you need the extra acid.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    17 years ago

I just want to pipe up and say I recently defrosted some of my Annie's Salsa frozen from last summer, and IT IS SO AWESOME! Thank you Annie so much for this fabulous recipe! Even though I am months away from fresh tomatoes and fresh salsa, the frozen stuff was almost just as good. I put some salad shrimp in it and ate the whole container for lunch, kind of a ceviche. Yum yum yum!
    Carla in Sac

• nanahanna
    17 years ago

OK, I need this recipe Annie! Can I have it? Pretty please?

Nanahanna

• greenglass
    17 years ago

Here it is Nanahanna ... recommend you try it - suspect you'll love it!

Posted by readinglady z8 OR (My Page) on Wed, Aug 9, 06 at 20:39

Annie's at Canning Camp right now, but here's her recipe with her comments. Note her comment there are two amounts of vinegar, depending upon whether you water bath or pressure can.
    "Sure I do, here's mine. Please note that it is pressure canned, because I cut the acid ingredients down by half. The original directions were to use 2/3 cup of vinegar and waterbath, but I wanted less of the acidic flavor and so cut the vinegar in half and process according to the Blue Book instructions for non-acidic vegetables. If you want to waterbath it, add that extra vinegar. If you want it mild, use the smaller amount of jalapenos.

ANNIEÂS SALSA
    8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
    2 1/2 cups chopped onion
    1 1/2 cups chopped green pepper
    3 Â 5 chopped jalapenos
    6 cloves minced garlic
    2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp pepper
    1/8 cup canning salt
    ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 cup vinegar (for BWB or 1/3 cup vinegar for PC)
    16 oz. tomato sauce
    16 oz tomato paste
    Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process at 10 lbs of pressure for 30 minutes for pints. Or BWB 15 minutes.
    Makes 6 pints

Good luck and happy canning. I get a lot of compliments on this recipe, and one of the local attorneys actually paid me $10 a pint for the last jar a couple of years ago (He NEEDED it for a Super Bowl party). Fine by me, I wish I had made more!! Annie"

Posted by Carol

• gardengalrn
    17 years ago

With our move in a few months, I am not gardening and therefore probably won't be making the salsa this year...waaa! I was curious if leaving out the paste in the recipe would alter it in a significant way aside from it being more runny? I kinda like a runny salsa. Lori

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Lori, leaving out the tomato paste won't alter the flavor appreciably. It just makes the salsa thicker and that's the only reason I put it in there. I like mine to stick on a chip!

Annie

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

I have also been using a powdered tomato to thicken some tomato products. It has even less moisture content compared to a paste. About the best tasting tomato paste there is, is the Contadina brand.

• shirleywny5
    17 years ago

Instead of using the paste and tomato sauce, I like to bring to a boil about two quarts of salsa and let it reduce quickly to about one quart. Add to the already cooking salsa pot. This works for me. I also like the lemon juice for the acid.

Shirley

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x