Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Cookbook recommendations?

2ajsmama
13 years ago

I already have the Ball Complete, Small Batch, and Linda Z's "Joy of..." books. Borders book store next town over is closing, have 25% off list right now (I know, not much) but they're running low on stock.

I saw 2010 edition "Putting Food By" in paperback marked $17 (less 25%), and this is OT but KA Flour Baking Commemorative(looseleaf, still in shrink wrap) marked $35 (so $26.25 + 6% tax). Dorrie Greenspan's French Table would be $30 (plus tax).

Are any of these worth the price, should I wait and see if they go lower, or should I pass (I don't cook French with a picky 7-yr old, and I don't have much shelf space for cookbooks). KAF may be worth it since it's $34.95 on the website, but I didn't want to open the plastic to browse. Any others I should look for?

(I did also see McGee "On Food and Cooking" marked $40 but I have a 40% off coupon not good at this store, I can order it online or maybe find it for less than $24 at Amazon. I also still have that Blue Chair Jam cookbook to return/exchange somewhere.)

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Putting Food By is a good one. It was a standard for canners for several years. I'm glad they finally got around to updating it. Had the new edition on my wish list for birthday but may check out the Borders price. Thanks for posting about it.

Dave

Skip that! Amazon is only $10 - much cheaper

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dave - that's only in the stores that are closing. If it's a good one, I may just pay $12.75 for it since I'm sure I'd pay more for shipping with Amazon (unless I ordered other books too to get the free shipping).

• readinglady
    13 years ago

I would pass on the King Arthur Flour Commemorative Edition. That's a reprint of their original 200th Anniversary Cookbook from 1992. I think KAF added 12 pages (some pictures and what-not) to the commemorative edition, but since the original edition is available used for under $7.00 (+3.99 or so shipping) I just can't see paying that premium for essentially the same book.

I would go for Putting Food By if you have no plans to buy additional items somewhere like Amazon.

Dorie Greenspan is wonderful and her Baking book is one of the best out there (though the recipes can be very rich). Around my French Table is similarly excellent, but if it doesn't suit your cooking style, I'd skip it. Why spend the money, unless you like cookbooks for bedtime reading. She is enjoyable.

If you spot a copy of One Big Table by Molly O'Neill or In the Kitchen with a Good Appetite by Melissa Clark, you might take a look. I think you might find those more appealing.

Carol

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, actually, they did have One Big Table but I didn't look at it.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    13 years ago

"The Joy of Cooking" Mine is the '97 edition.

"The Cook's Bible" Mine is '96 edition and has a different cover.

• planatus
    13 years ago

The new edition of Putting Food By has lots of stuff not in the earlier eds, especially more on drying. And the ladies write so well, often cutting to the chase in wry ways...

• chilemilio
    13 years ago

Don't know if you've already decided, but i just saw this thread. The Dorrie Greenspan book is pretty good. My girlfriend got this, and we've been very happy with it. that being said, I can understand our hesitance for 7 yr olds, even by just looking at the ingredients flipping through the book. If you are considering the French Table book, I'd suggest Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc book... you kids will love the meatballs

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I went back but Putting Food By was gone, and I think French Table was too (though I didn't really look for that). I did end up getting an older copy of Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking for 50 cents at Goodwill though!