Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Safe to Eat?

Posted by giddyupgo 9a (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 17:16

Hi all, quick question. I made some preserved lemons about three weeks ago. The recipe said to simply put the lemons in a preserving jar, cover them with lemon juice and add about a quarter cup of salt, then leave them in a warm place for 21 days. I used a preserving jar that had been "sterilized" in the dishwasher but later learned that dishwashers don't do a very good job sterilizing, but was told that since this was a high-acid, salty recipe there were no safety issues.

So today I opened up the jar to use some of the lemons and discovered that the juice is no longer completely covering them. The lemons on the top are sticking out of the juice, I suppose because the juice has been absorbed by some of the lemons. Anyway now I'm not sure if these are safe to eat because they've been exposed to air. I actually took the top ones out and tossed them, then added more juice but am not sure if that's good enough. Anyone know?

Thanks in advance!
Becki

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Safe to Eat?

Yes. That acidic the only concern is molds or fungus. If no signs of either then they are fine to eat.

Dave

o

Thank you, much appreciated!

o

Next time monitor a little more closely and when the level starts to drop, add lemon juice and salt in the same proportions as originally.

The exposed lemons would have been safe to eat; the flavor would just not be as fully developed.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here