Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digdirt2

Survey: Pressure canner cool down

digdirt2
13 years ago

Frequent question on canning forums: Why does it take my pressure canner so long to cool down?

Times reported seem to range from 20 min. to 4 hours and while it should be size related, it doesn't seem to be.

So your pressure canner(s) - brand, size or model #, weighted gauge or just weight or just gauge, average cool down time, and any reasons you may have discovered that can delay cool down?

My Presto 23 qt. weighted gauge canner takes an average of 25 min. to cool down to 0 on the gauge (then I wait 10 mins. before removing the weight). My AA 915 weighted gauged one takes approx. 40 min. I think because even though it is smaller it is much heavier.

TIA

Dave

Comments (8)

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

Presto 16 quart. I actually leave it on my (glass top stove) burner for about 10 minutes after I turn off the heat. Then remove. Combined - about 25-30 minutes to cool down. I found that if I just removed the canner from the burner, it would totally cool down in about 15 mnutes, but the pressure would be dropping too fast, and within a minute of 2, I would smell whatever I was canning, and I would find siphoning when I opened the pot. If I leave it on the burner, the pressure drops more slowly and I hardly ever find siphoning.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    13 years ago

Presto 16 qt w/10 lbs weighted gauge. 3 quarts water, 9 pints hot pack pork in wine sauce, 10 min vent & 75 min process on regular electric stove indoors. Took a little over an hour for the air vent/cover lock to drop. No air movement. In the summertime with doors and windows open is faster. I leave the canner on the burner to cool down.

• digdirt2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's a good example of the differences in time with the same canner. Thanks you two!

Dave

• macybaby
    13 years ago

I have a presto 16 and it takes about 30 mn, I also have a AAA 921, and that takes about 40 mn.

I have a coil cooktop in my summer kitchen, and I leave them on the burner to cool down.

• wcthomas
    13 years ago

My All American 30 qt cools to zero pressure in 20-25 minutes from 10 lbs pressure, and an additional 5 minutes from 15 lbs.

TomNJ

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

Mirro 23 qt. 10# pressure, removed from burner as soon as time is up takes about 30 minutes, then I remove the lid, but leave sitting ajar on top for another 10.
    I haven't really timed it, I just know when I'm cranking out green beans, it takes about 1 1/2 hours per load.
    Raw pack, I have the beans in hot jars, pour boiling water in and cap: 10 minutes. Approx. 10 minutes to begin steaming, 10 to vent, 25 processing and 30 cool down. Ten "resting".

Yeah, I know that's a little more than 1 1/2 hours, but there's overlap.
    I start filling the next batch when I set the lid ajar.

Interesting question though, I'll have to do some actual timing to see if it varies by product, processing time, etc.

Deanna

• cabrita
    13 years ago

Presto 23Q - around 45 minutes.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    13 years ago

Presto 16 w/9 pints beans. 33 min. Ambient temp in kitchen 74 degrees. No idea why took so much longer b4.