Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mapleleafquilt

Ball Wide-Mouth Pint-and-a-Half Jars

mapleleafquilt
12 years ago

I just read on the foodinjars dot com site that Ball has brought back the wide-mouth pint-and-a-half jars. I haven�t seen them yet but I�m really delighted about this and I thought readers of this forum would be, too. I posted about this in 2010 after writing to Jarden Home Brands and thought I should let everyone know. Now I just need a recipe for pickled asparagus�Oh and those beautiful skinny carrots I saw at the Farmers� Market�

joan

Comments (25)

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

You only get 9 jars, not a dozen, though. This is my favorite pickled asparagus. Safe to do in qts., too.

Pickled Asparagus

8 pints asparagus spears
    6 cups water
    6 cups white vinegar 5% acidity
    6 T. canning or pickling salt
    2 tsp. pickling spices, cloves removed
    garlic, 1 clove per jar

Wash asparagus, cut into jar length spears.
    Combing water, vinegar, salt, and add pickling spices, tied in a cloth bag. Heat to boiling, Remove spice bag.
    Pack asparagus into jars, add garlic clove. Cover with boiling brine. Leave 1/2 inch headspace.Process 10 minutes in water bath canner.

• oukay
    12 years ago

The thing I have a hard time with in many recipes is the weight/volume thing. Does this mean I would need 8 pounds of asparagus for this? Or the amount that would fit into 8 pint jars?

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

The amount that fits into the jars. Saying so many pounds will vary considering the different sizes of the spears.

• canfan
    12 years ago

plan for extra because you can cut the ends into 1-2 inch pieces (once you get past the tough end) and can these too. I will chop and add the ends to potato or macaroni salads as well as just to snack on.

• mapleleafquilt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's too bad that they are not dozens but what I love about these jars is not having to chop off so much of the asparagus.
    Thank you so much, Linda Lou, for the recipe. I need to get on this!
    joan

• GeneTheNewGuy
    11 years ago

I am new to this site and to canning. I was trying to find these jars locally (Okla City) but no one had them. I was in Westlake Ace Hardware and they said they could order them for me @ $11.99 per case. I asked them to order me 4 cases. Hopefully they will actually come in.
    I saw Amazon has them but they are ridiculously high priced plus shipping.

• SneakyP86
    11 years ago

Lindalou would it be okay to brush them instead instead of combing? And just how do they wear their part??

• James McNulty
    11 years ago

With respect to availability at Ace Hardware, I just checked with Ace Hardware online and Ace Hardware.com. Neither place said they were available.
    Based on the comment above that an Ace Hardware could order them, I called the toll free number for Ace Hardware.com (free store delivery of Ace Hardware products to your local store) and I was advised that 1 1/2 pint or 24 ounce Jardin canning jars WERE NOT AVAILABLE THROUGH ACE HARDWARE STORES.
    So, if anyone has some better Ace Hardware information? Amazon is never an option on canning jars as shipping is more expensive than the jars.
    Thanks.
    Jim in So Calif

• GeneTheNewGuy
    11 years ago

I ordered 4 cases last week and they came in on Thursday July 12. I picked them up at the Ace Hardware on SW 44 & Western Ave in Oklahoma City. Right now they are still in the trunk of my car. I just went online and did not find them online either. However in this part of the country our Ace Hardwares are "Westlake Ace Hardware". Perhaps there are different Ace Hardware groups around the country??? I don't know. Anyway, I walked into the physical store at above mentioned address and spoke to the manager. He looked it up on their computer, showed it to me on the screen, gave me a price of $10.99 per case, and ordered them for me. Perhaps you could go into your local store and do the same. It has been my experience before that online does not list items but they are available through the stores computer.

• GeneTheNewGuy
    11 years ago

I see you were asking for the Jardin brand. You might ask for the Ball Brand pint and a half. That might make a difference. But I'd still go in and ask in person.

You might also call Ball, or Jardin, and ask them if they show a local dealer in your area. Also smaller independent hardware stores.

I'd also check with some of the local smaller grocers, independents, and see if they could order them for you.

Based on my experience when calling a retailer, if on the phone they may blow me off if they're busy but if I came in person they had to actually talk to and look at me, not as easy to blow me off that way.

• James McNulty
    11 years ago

Gene,
    Thanks for the advise.
    I unfortunately live in So Calif where the Ace Hardware stores do not sell canning lids and the Wal-Marts have done away with canning supplies to accommodate their new grocery departments.
    Big Lots have never heard of canning jars and Dollar General Store have never heard of canning lids (both common in other parts of the States).
    Having lived in the States so long, I don't go by Canadian Tire any longer.
    The independent hardware stores are all gone (Lowe's and Home Depot) and my friends and neighbors cannot believe that someone (me) knows how to can foods.
    But thanks for your advise anyway. It may well be of use to folks living in the more traditional parts of the county.
    Jim in So Calif

• mapleleafquilt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I "ordered" them from my local Tru Value Hardware store and pretty much mentioned the lowest price I had heard of. They honored that price, delivered three cases to the store and I picked them up. Orchard Supply Hardware also has canning supplies. Maybe I should get more...does this qualify as hoarding?
    Joan in No Cal

• James McNulty
    11 years ago

Joan,
    Thanks - went to TruValue.com today and found Ball WM canning jars for $11.99 a case. They will deliver FREE to your local store if there is one - and there is one for me.
    Ball apparently does not know they sell jars to this hardware chain as it was NOT mentioned to me in their email.
    So thanks again. I know where to buy them "locally" without paying the $25.00 to $110.00 that Ball wanted to ship 2 cases to me in So Calif.
    Jim in So Calif

• readinglady
    11 years ago

I found one case on the shelf at my local Ace Hardware. I purchased that case and subsequently ordered three additional cases from them. All jars I have received.

I did tell the clerk the jars were not listed on the Ace website. My guess is because it's a new product they haven't included the stock number.

I know for those who live in some areas of the country it's extremely difficult to obtain jars and other canning supplies at an affordable price. It's a real shame.

Carol

• GeneTheNewGuy
    11 years ago

Excellent! Congratulations! I am really glad you found them. It seems they charged you regular list full price, but I guess that's ok, it won't break the bank, but a couple bucks cheaper per case would have been icing on the cake.

I bought 4 cases, I am contemplating ordering 4 or 5 more cases. If I get an extra $100 bill I may order 9 or 10. In my particular circumstances, the pints are a bit small and the quarts are too big, these are just the perfect size for me and my family situation, no waste, just right.

Jim you wouldn't happen to be near San Diego? Ever been up to a farmers stand named "Chino's" right by Rancho Sante Fe? They have incredible produce, they open early and sell out really early each day. One of my favorite places in Southern Cal, and also Tip Top Meats in Carlsbad, a fabulous German deli and store.

• James McNulty
    11 years ago

Gene,
    I am way up in Corona and there are "farmers markets" in my area. I have sleep issues an am usually up all night.
    Most farmers markets are early in the morning.
    Try to find yourself a small store owner who will sell you produce by the case. I used to have a small market that they would do that for me whenever I asked. Damn, they have gone out of business however.
    Other folks advertise that they want fruits and vegetable from home trees and plots on Craigslist. I do NOT know if they are successful.
    I just asked a neighbor lady who had a small apple tree what happens to the apples. She told me that the tree used to produce 200 pounds of apples a year but that now as she is older, she just rakes them up and throws them away.
    Come Sept. this year, she told me to come over and pick them all - it will reduce her raking job.
    Keep an eye out for opportunities like this.
    Tell everyone that you can. I have folks that stop by and just give me food that they either have too much of or not enough time or freezer space to keep for themselves. My food is resting on jars of strawberry sauce that I made from a 10PM night time delivery and I am fermenting cabbage also a result of another delivery. I have 2 crocks of pickles fermenting that another chap dropped by with.
    Some folks across the country have worked out deals with their local fruit stands that they will by jars and lids from them in exchange for all their old produce (stacked in crates out back at night). What a deal. I have asked here but they all go into the garbage.
    Keep your ears and eyes alert.
    Hope this helps a little.
    Jim in So Calif

• michelelc
    11 years ago

I just found some of these jars at Bed, Bath and Beyond, in case anyone is still looking for them. They were $12.99, but you can always use the 20% off coupons that they send in the mail all the time, no matter if the coupon is expired, or not.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

That would still be $10.39 but not bad. I saw them at TSC for $9.99 today and just got a 10% off entire purchase coupon in the mail. I don't think I need any more, I have a dozen - though I did just do some dill pickles in WM quart, if I keep getting big cukes maybe I will need more - these fit in my BWB better than the quarts (have to pasteurize quarts, no room to boil).

• jackieblue
    11 years ago

I was just at Lowe's. They have a Ball canning display over by the seasonal stuff and I noticed they had the pint and half jars. Been looking for them everywhere. I got 3 cases of them and am considering going back to get the rest of them tomorrow. $10.89 a case. I am officially a jar hoarder. It's true. LOL I have never canned a thing in my life and I now own about 150 jars or so. I do store my dehydrated fruit and vegetables in them, and all dry goods in my pantry. Thinking about learning to make some jam or jelly and maybe some bread and butter pickles.

I also recently purchased this thing called a cuppow which basically is a lid to use on mason jars that turns them into sippy cups for adults. The pint and a half jars actually fit into the larger cup holder in my jeep so now when I use jars to drink from I can take them to go.

• GeneTheNewGuy
    11 years ago

Lowes you say? I know where I am headed tomorrow! I am going to stock up. From what I have read I conclude that Ball may or may not make more next year so I am going to buy a bunch tomorrow. Thanks for the tip! Gene

• GeneTheNewGuy
    11 years ago

Woo Hoo! Went to Lowes on my lunch hour. They still had a good selection. I got plenty of extra cases of the pint and a half jars, but still left plenty for other folks. They also had some different decorative sort of jelly jars, not the normal ones I normally see. So I bought a few boxes of those. I'll use those for jelly Christmas and Holiday presents this fall.

I might go to a different Lowes this weekend and pick up some more cases for next year, just in case Ball does not make any more.

I was talking to the stocking clerk in that area and I expressed I was surprised to find canning supplies at Lowes. He replied that most people had no idea either but they sold a LOT once people knew about it.

• jackieblue
    11 years ago

Gene I was just about to ask you if you had gone to Lowe's today. So glad you found them, I would have felt bad saying they had them if you went and didn't find them. I didn't get back there this evening but I will probably go this weekend so if the remaining pint and a half jars are still there they are fair game. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see my Lowe's put the remaining canning stuff on clearance pretty soon. They have already moved the display from near the garden center to near the front door like they are trying to get more people to notice it so they can get rid of them.

Aren't the 1/2 pint and pint elite jars adorable? Lowe's has the best price on them that I have found as well.

• seedmama
    11 years ago

Hi Gene,
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but I did want to take the opportunity to invite you over to GardenWeb's Oklahoma Gardening Forum. Lot's of nice, knowledgeable folks over there. Please drop in!

Seedmama

Here is a link that might be useful: Oklahoma Gardening Forum

• GeneTheNewGuy
    11 years ago

Thanks Seedmama, I didn't know it was there. I will be there soon with questions.

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

I bought one case at Lowe's tonight for $10.99 for a case of 9 jars. I also saw 12 ounce jelly jars at Walmart.