Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bustergordon_gw

Kumquat marmalade recipe?

bustergordon
13 years ago

Hi everyone! Does anyone have a kumquat marmalade recipe? My kumquats are close to harvest and I'm looking for a good recipe. I found one that looks ok, but seems very fiddly (I have made meyer lemon marmalade the past couple of years, and for some reason the kumquat recipe that I found has like 6 extra steps).

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• colleenoz
    13 years ago

I take the washed kumquats and slice them into very thin slices, removing the seeds (reserve the seeds). Weigh the kumquats and juice, then place in a large non-reactive bowl and cover with twice the weight of the kumquats in water. (Eg for 250g of kumquats use 500g (which is 500ml) of water).) Place the seeds in a clean cloth and tie up with kitchen string. Add to soaking kumquats. Leave overnight.
    Next morning, pour the kumquat/water mixture into a large pot, including the cloth with the seeds in it (tie the string to the pot handle so you can fish it out easily) and boil until the kumquats are soft. Remove the seeds and scrape any accumulated pectin off the outside of the cloth, adding back to the fruit mixture.
    Stir in sugar, twice the weight of the kumquats (same weight as the water, so for the example given above, 500g of sugar). Stir until dissolved and boil hard until setting point is reached. It will foam up a LOT so use a really large pan compared to the amount of marmalade you're making. When it is close to setting point the foam will lessen a bit and the bead will become very fine, like champagne foam.
    At setting point, remove from heat and pour into sterilised jars. Can in your preferred way.
    Hope this helps.

• bustergordon
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Perfect, thanks. Sounds a lot like how I make my meyer lemon marmalade. Just wasn't sure how to deal with the smaller kumquat!

• mellyofthesouth
    13 years ago

These are the amounts I used last year. We really liked it. Since I mixed weight and volume I'm not sure how it compares, except it would have less sugar since I only have the same amount of sugar as kumquats. The directions are the same.

750 grams kumquats
    600 ml water
    750 grams sugar

• sautesmom Sacramento
    13 years ago

Wow, I didn't realize Florida had converted to the Metric system, LOL!

Bustergordon, I have a PDF of a bunch of Kumquat recipes, if you want to e-mail me from My Page, I would be happy to send it to you. I was going to make all kinds of Kumquat things, but somehow I seem to be eating all my Kumquats this year!

Carla in Sac

• mellyofthesouth
    13 years ago

Carla,
    We lived in the Netherlands for 4 years and I got hooked. Plus the original recipe was from a British book that a friend gave me. I'm picking kumquats today so I'd love the recipes. I will email you.
    Melly

• oukay
    13 years ago

Try the recipe in Ashley English's book "Homemade Living: Canning and Preserving" for 5-spice kumquat marmalade. I made it with and without the 5-spice powder and it was great both ways.