Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kumquat marmalade recipe?

Posted by bustergordon (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 9, 11 at 19:54

Hi everyone! Does anyone have a kumquat marmalade recipe? My kumquats are close to harvest and I'm looking for a good recipe. I found one that looks ok, but seems very fiddly (I have made meyer lemon marmalade the past couple of years, and for some reason the kumquat recipe that I found has like 6 extra steps).

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kumquat marmalade recipe?

I take the washed kumquats and slice them into very thin slices, removing the seeds (reserve the seeds). Weigh the kumquats and juice, then place in a large non-reactive bowl and cover with twice the weight of the kumquats in water. (Eg for 250g of kumquats use 500g (which is 500ml) of water).) Place the seeds in a clean cloth and tie up with kitchen string. Add to soaking kumquats. Leave overnight.
Next morning, pour the kumquat/water mixture into a large pot, including the cloth with the seeds in it (tie the string to the pot handle so you can fish it out easily) and boil until the kumquats are soft. Remove the seeds and scrape any accumulated pectin off the outside of the cloth, adding back to the fruit mixture.
Stir in sugar, twice the weight of the kumquats (same weight as the water, so for the example given above, 500g of sugar). Stir until dissolved and boil hard until setting point is reached. It will foam up a LOT so use a really large pan compared to the amount of marmalade you're making. When it is close to setting point the foam will lessen a bit and the bead will become very fine, like champagne foam.
At setting point, remove from heat and pour into sterilised jars. Can in your preferred way.
Hope this helps.

o

Perfect, thanks. Sounds a lot like how I make my meyer lemon marmalade. Just wasn't sure how to deal with the smaller kumquat!

o

These are the amounts I used last year. We really liked it. Since I mixed weight and volume I'm not sure how it compares, except it would have less sugar since I only have the same amount of sugar as kumquats. The directions are the same.

750 grams kumquats
600 ml water
750 grams sugar

o

Wow, I didn't realize Florida had converted to the Metric system, LOL!

Bustergordon, I have a PDF of a bunch of Kumquat recipes, if you want to e-mail me from My Page, I would be happy to send it to you. I was going to make all kinds of Kumquat things, but somehow I seem to be eating all my Kumquats this year!

Carla in Sac

o

Carla,
We lived in the Netherlands for 4 years and I got hooked. Plus the original recipe was from a British book that a friend gave me. I'm picking kumquats today so I'd love the recipes. I will email you.
Melly

o

Try the recipe in Ashley English's book "Homemade Living: Canning and Preserving" for 5-spice kumquat marmalade. I made it with and without the 5-spice powder and it was great both ways.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here