Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Next canning project: Chicken Soup

Posted by psittacinejungle z 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 20:40

Though I make homemade soups all the time, I’ve never canned any. I’ve never canned meat, except the bacon that went into baked beans. I’ve taken 2 chickens out of the freezer to make the broth with tomorrow. Then I’ll let it refrigerate overnight and remove the fat layer Wednesday and make/can the soup. There are a couple of things I’d like to know before I begin this task.

Is grilling the meat for extra flavor permitted when canning? Also, I read often about ‘some spices’ turning bitter when using for canning. Has anyone seen a list on the ‘net of which to avoid or go easy on? As an example, I like cumin but I have found that my taste buds only like fractional amounts of it when I added some to a canned southwestern tomato recipe. A little would have been great but the amount called for in the recipe was just nasty. Don’t want to make that mistake again. One of the reasons I ask is because I always thought parsley in chicken soup was a standard, but none of the recipes I’ve seen for canning it has had that ingredient.

Thanks, Crystal

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Next canning project: Chicken Soup

I follow a "when in doubt, leave it out" motto. Fresh parsley can easily be added when you reheat soup to serve it.

I use herbs when I make my stock, but they are strained out before canning. It's leaving them in the jar that can result in stronger flavors.

You can certainly grill your chicken first assuming you're going to cook it off the bone and de-fat your broth anyway, it will add flavor without affecting the recipe in any negative way.

Deanna

o
RE: Next canning project: Chicken Soup

Great! I'll grill the chickens a bit then put them in the stockpot for a couple of hours. Thanks Deanna.

Crystal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here