Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psittacine

Next canning project: Chicken Soup

psittacine
11 years ago

Though I make homemade soups all the time, IâÂÂve never canned any. IâÂÂve never canned meat, except the bacon that went into baked beans. IâÂÂve taken 2 chickens out of the freezer to make the broth with tomorrow. Then IâÂÂll let it refrigerate overnight and remove the fat layer Wednesday and make/can the soup. There are a couple of things IâÂÂd like to know before I begin this task.

Is grilling the meat for extra flavor permitted when canning? Also, I read often about âÂÂsome spicesâ turning bitter when using for canning. Has anyone seen a list on the âÂÂnet of which to avoid or go easy on? As an example, I like cumin but I have found that my taste buds only like fractional amounts of it when I added some to a canned southwestern tomato recipe. A little would have been great but the amount called for in the recipe was just nasty. DonâÂÂt want to make that mistake again. One of the reasons I ask is because I always thought parsley in chicken soup was a standard, but none of the recipes IâÂÂve seen for canning it has had that ingredient.

Thanks, Crystal

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County