Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A gift of meat

Posted by girlbug2 z9/10 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 11, 11 at 20:53

A friend of my husband's is sending some venison and homemade venison sausage to us which has been in a freezer for about one month. (they hunted it themselves).

My concern is mainly the sausage--what would be the risks of some kind of food poisoning from homemade sausage? does having been in a freezer for a month change anything?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A gift of meat

Possibly but probably not.. the meat itself unless they have used extremely poor butchering methods will be deemed safe by cooking though
Sausage or any ground meat can pose more of a risk but if your friends are still alive it is probably all good for example smoking meat at low temps without adding cure can foster botulism

As with any homemade gift you be the judge of course you don't know the people that handle your meat in the store..

Time in a freezer will reduce the chance of trichina in wild game and pork that will be consumed under cooked such as in dried sausage

A good marinade can take the gamey flavor out of game and make it taste incredible

Here is a link that might be useful: venison cooking tips and recipes

o

I agree that the safety all depends on their butchering and processing techniques.

Personally, as a hunter and venison sausage maker, I accept such gifts to avoid hurt feelings. But I don't use their sausages as I have seen some really poor techniques used by a couple of friends that are from the "I haven't died yet" school of sausage preservation. Any of the meat that can be fully cooked before eating is no problem.

Dave

Dave

o

Do your friends do their own butchering, or do they pay a custom butcher to do it? I wouldn't have any problem at all with any sausage that came out of any custom butcher in my area.

I can't think of any reason why sausage would be any more dangerous than any other ground meat. Just cook it well, just like you'd do with burger.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 13, 11 at 10:53

I can think of several people who hunt and process their own meat whose gift I would happily accept. And others where I wouldn't touch it :)

With the meat, you will just about know by the quality how it has been handled, and of course you would be cooking it.

The sausage is a little different. I have a friend who makes the best pork kielbasa in the world - that is a product that is then cooked to serve. We have elk and venison made into kielbasa at an inspected (and respected) facility and don't do our own, but we have a summer type sausage made too and that one isn't cooked again before eating, just sliced and served.

I'd want to know something of the habits of the friends, know what kind of room or kitchen, what kind of handling the sausage has experienced.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here