Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
jewish pickes

Posted by stake 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 20, 11 at 20:59

All:

I am looking for a recipe for Jewish pickles...not the 'kosher dills'...a real jewish pickle.

I think these pickles are mostly regional to Philly and NYC and maybe Baltimore...

They aren't the ones found in the grocery stores, but the old fashioned corner deli. They used to be found in five gallon buckets. They are the bomb and if anyone has instructions, Id be grateful.

regards
TE

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: jewish pickes

Jewish pickles can cover a lot of different possibilities.

Do you mean half-sours? Any description of the pickle is helpful.

Carol

o

Have you googled Jewish Pickles. It's worth doing just to read the articles even if you don't find your particular pickle.......I bet that you will though.

o

google Attman's Deli, Lombard Street, Baltimore, Md print map and directions ... get in the car ... etc.....

Linda Ziedrich's Lower East Side Full Sour Dills (The Joy of Pickling)come pretty close for a small batch. But NOTHING touches the ones made by the barrel. And believe me I've tried for years ....

o

Kayskats:

Followed your instructions, this looks close (at least the picture) http://www.myjewishlearning.com/culture/2/Food/american_jewish_cooking/kosher-dill-pickles.shtml

Probably will give this a 'try'. And since I have friends in Baltimore, I may send them on a road trip. And yes those barrel pickles are the pickle by which all are judged (lol) To all, Thanks for the feedback.

regards
TE I

o

Whether you're using Ziedrich's recipe or another fermented pickle, be sure to use the freshest pickling cucumbers and pickling salt as directed.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here