Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting

Posted by chartim 7A (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 31, 11 at 22:26

How deep should pepper transplants be set in garden soil?
Pot level or deep like tomatoes.
Tim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting

Hi Tim - you'll do better posting this over on the Vegetable Gardening forum or on the Growing Peppers forum. The focus of this forum is canning and preserving foods.

My personal opinion is pot deep since peppers don't really form adventitious roots off the stem as tomatoes do.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable Gardening forum

o

We plant tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc in individual "wells". We live in a hot, dry area and this helps retain water around the plant and prevents runoff.

o

Thank you for the reply
Tim

o

We always plant our peppers deep like tomatoes. Here in the high mountain desert at an altitude of 5600', and with our soil loaded with sand (even though it is highly amended) it is easier keeping the soil evenly moist by planting down and forming wells up. Crystal

o

Here in TN peppers are not planted deep like tomatoes. They're prone to "black leg" and too many wont make it. They're planted at the level the grew naturally.

o

I plant my peppers just a little above the original pot..As far as I know, peppers don't make roots along the stem the way tomatoes do and I would be worried that the buried stem might rot........

o

I don't know whether peppers make roots along the length of the stems or not - by the time they are done producing, I forget to look:) Years ago, we had experienced gardeners living nearby tell us plant to the first true leaves as with tomatoes and I've never had one rot. Since it worked for them and works for me, I do it. The moisture is more even further down in this sandy/loam soil and further away from the blistering sun. At this altitude, and because we don't get much rain and therefore hand-water mostly, just makes it easier. As many others on this forum, we are old enough to claim easier as a necessity! LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here