Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcskye

Sale of Lids for Canning

bcskye
12 years ago

In a clearance nook in my WalMart, they had Better Homes and Gardens' canning jar lid packages for $1 each. There are twelve per package and they are in the red and white gingham design, but they are less expensive than any I've found before and color and design don't make any difference to me. I picked up five packages, but on my way home from the VA tomorrow I'll pick up more. If you need lids, you might want to check your local Wally World.

Comments (7)

• macybaby
    12 years ago

There have been really mixed reviews on these. A few people have reported no problems, but more have found them not to hold up to pressure canning or even longer times BWB. You may want to do test run with them.

I bought several dozen and plan on using them only for jam.

• bcskye
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, macybaby. I hadn't seen any reports of problems so I picked up ten packages in all, but now that you've given me the "heads up", I will stick with using them for jams and jellies, too.

• oletimer
    12 years ago

Walmart has the 12QT Better Homes & Garden stock pot marked down to $19.99 would this be a good stock pot to buy, Reg. price is $39.99 it is made in China so would it be safe to use? Some questioned the lids so I just wondered

• macybaby
    12 years ago

with the stock pot, a lot depends on your heat source. Glass top needs a heavy, very flat bottom and a kettle with a thinner bottom (don't know what this has) can warp just slightly and then it takes a lot longer for the heat to transfer.

I really like the Tramontina I got at Wallmart, I paid about $50 for a 22 qt stockpot. Saw it on sale and grabbed it, and it's been a real nice pot to have. Maybe compare this one to the BHG and see how they compare.

12gt is on the small side if you are going to use it for BWB canning.

Here is a link that might be useful: stock pot

• berrybusy
    11 years ago

This WalMart must have found a box that was tucked away someplace. Just picked up a bunch for the $1 clearance price. Hope they're worth it. They also had a bunch of the 6-pack lid and ring packages for $1 but I didn't see the value there.

• jackieblue
    11 years ago

I can't even find canning jars at my WM, let alone anything on clearance. Must be a lot of people in my area canning these days. I am off to find and collect as many jars as I can this weekend.

I did find some 1/2 pint wide mouth Ball jars at Target last weekend. I didn't have much of a use for them but they were so adorable I had to get a package of them (4). Since I got them home I am finding all kinds of uses so I may go get the rest of them before they are gone.

I don't even can. I just like to use the jars for storage using my foodsaver attachment.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Fred's anyone? Golden Harvest lids for $1 for reg and $1.50 for wides this week.

Dave