Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Partially dehydrating tomatoes before making sauce?

Posted by steve22802 7a VA (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 22:30

Has anyone dried partially dehydrating tomatoes before making sauce? I'm wondering if you could sun dry them for 8 hours or so in order to make a thicker sauce without the long cook down period. I would think you would want to heat them up in a pot to soften them before milling. Might need to add a few non-dehydrated tomatoes to the pot to keep from scorching at first. Any thoughts on this strategy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Partially dehydrating tomatoes before making sauce?

I've done that, sliced tomatoes into 1/2 inch thick rounds then quartered the rounds, then dried them in a dehydrator over-night so they were pretty dry.

By the time you make the sauce, boil up the onions, garlic, what ever, the pieces have pretty much disintegrated. End of the day, thats a lot of work for not much benefit.

Its a lot easier to add tomato paste to the sauce to thicken it up, and not boil it as long.

I should note that we make a sauce with dried tomatoes, using red wine vinegar, water, olive oil, crushed garlic, and dry oregano. Fill a quart jar with the dried tomatoes, use about 1/3 each oil, vinegar, water, and fill the jar, let sit overnight to soften, then food process with two-three cloves garlic and 1-2 teaspoons oregano until smooth. Strong flavors, but really, really good on pasta or spread on toast.

o

Your dried tomato sauce recipe sounds great! I like strong flavors. :)

o

For future reference, why not grow varieties that have much less water and gel? I have a sun dried tomato business and I want large, few seeds, drier than the Sahara tomatoes. For sauce, all I grow and use is Costoluto Genovese. Sauce comes through the tomato mill practically finished consistency and takes very little cooking down. I do make a tomato pesto using sun dried tomatoes but have not made sauce using partially dehydrated tomatoes. The varieties i use are also great for salsa. I HATE runny salsa!

o

I once knew a woman who canned many, many jars of tomatoes and tomato sauces of all kinds. She always used Paste Tomatoes, then she would cut them up and put them in a collandar to drain over night. She said that the 'water' that drained away wasn't needed and was bitter. Her sauces were always of the nicest consistency and very tasty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here