Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
carrot questions

Posted by growinidaho 4/5 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 22, 11 at 22:58

Hi! I have some questions and hope you can help. This is my first year to have carrots that I left in the ground during winter. The snow just melted off of them 5 days ago. I'm guessing there is up to 10lbs. I was told that I need to pull them up before they get soggy. What is the best way to take care of them? Is there a good old thread you could link me to? I am new at canning as of last year and I have never frozen carrots before. I already made carrot salad, twice. I would like to use them for soups and stir frys.

There will be a carrot cake in the oven tomorrow!!!
I am enjoying my first year of canning. Thanks to everyone for all your help!!!
Sherri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: carrot questions

For canning them, one of the very best recipes is in the Ball Blue Book - Glazed Carrots p.77. It always gets popular reviews.

To freeze them see NCHFP: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/freeze/carrot.html

They also dehydrate very well as carrot chips.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Dehydrating Vegetables

o

I just can them like this: http://www.simplycanning.com/canning-carrots.html Then I use them in soups and stews and such.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning Carrots

o

Some time back one of our members posted her recipes for carrots with orange, pineapple, apple, etc. You might find her recipes appealing.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Brokenbar's Carrot Recipes

o

Thank you! I forgot to look in my BBB, not used to having it yet. I put up 3 quarts for the freezer so far. Made a yummy carrot cake. And will figure out the rest tomorrow morning. The juice sounds good! I didn't really want to can them cuz I have only done beets so far. I should try canning carrots this fall when my canner is out.
I really appreciate everyones questions and answers. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and for those links!!!

I am growing twice the amount of tomatoes this year so I can make more of Annie's Salsa!
Sherri

o

They're quite good pickled too! Just BWB, no pressure canning.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickled Carrots

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here