Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

I'll be teaching canning this summer!

lpinkmountain
14 years ago

I just found out my course was approved by the collge for this summer, so I'l be teaching a four part canning class at the local community collge. It's not a credit class, just a hobby class. It will be four, two hour sessions and people can pick and choose. The topics are jams and preserves, pickles, relishes and chutney, and salsa. The one I'm most nervous about is relishes and chutney, I don't use either one much. I'll be using the demo kitchen they have. I'm doing this because I've joined the community gardening movment where I live and folks have been asking for food preservation classes.

Comments (6)

• malna
    14 years ago

Hey, LPM,
    My DIL wants to learn how to can (they live in Allentown). Any further details you can supply? She wants me to teach her, but I'm thinking this might help her get a good grasp on the basics. I know I'd get frustrated in the midst of a marathon canning session and I'd end up "doing" instead of "teaching" :-)

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll be at the local community college in Bethlehem. The brochure isn't officially out yet so I can divulge any more details, but the classes will be 2 hours in the evenings, the last week of July and first two weeks of Aug. She should check it out in a few weeks when it will probably be online as well. There will be a materials fee that will cover the cost of the supplies, but it is realtively small.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Are you going to try to cover the general basics as well or just focus on those particular items?

Various chutneys are great as a meat or fish topping, added to tossed salads, mixed with potato salad, in omlets or just on top of scrambled eggs, deviled eggs, mix with cottage or ricotta cheese and stuffed in a tomato.

Dave

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just those items. Each class will cover the basics for safety with that type of product. I have to pick maybe one or two at the most standard examples for the hands on part. I'm thinking maybe pepper relish for that class, I still haven't found a chutney that I really like, but I have lots of recipes. For pickles I'm just going to do maybe green beans or jardiaire or hamburger dills, beets, I've done a tone of those. These will not be crock pickles though. I am sticking to just boiling water bath stuff because that's what I know and that's the easiest for beginners. My colleague I think is doing sauerkraut.

• malna
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info - I'll keep checking online.

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's the info about the classes I'll be teaching this summer if anyone knows anyone in the Lehigh Valley that wants to sign up. Believe me, this is not a moneymaker for me or the college!

CAL-8159 - DEMO: Local Food in Your Freezer
    This class explores the basic how-to of bulk freezer storage. Participants will investigate freezing strategies with a focus on shopping locally and seasonally. We will discuss which freezers are most conducive to household use and which storage containers won't break the bank.
    Thursday, 07/08/10, 6:00 PM-9:00 PM
    Cost: $49.00

CAL-8161 - DEMO: Saving Summer's Bounty through Canning - Jams and Preserves
    This is the first in a series of canning sessions offered by instructor Laurie Rosenberg who has over 15 years of experience canning safely. This course will guide you through USDA approved safe methods. Discover the simplicity and joy of home canning.
    Tuesday, 07/27/10, 7:00 PM-9:00 PM
    Cost: $25

CAL-8162 - DEMO: Saving Summer's Bounty through Canning - Pickles
    This is the secod in a series of caning sessions offered by instructor Laurie Rosenberg who has over 15 years of experience canning safely. Save money and eat locally. Provide high quality food for your family.
    Tues, 08/03/10 7:00 PM-9:00 PM

CAL-8163 - DEMO: Saving Summer's Bounty through Canning - Relish and Chutney
    This is the third in a series of canning sessions offered by instructor Laurie Rosenberg who has over 15 years of experience canning safely. Always wanted to try canning but nervous about starting? This course is for you.
    Tuesday, 08/10/10, 7:00 PM-9:00 PM

CAL-8164 - DEMO: Saving Summer's Bounty through Canning - Salsa
    This is the fourth in a series of canning sessions offered by instructor Laurie Rosenberg who has over 15 years of experience canning safely. This course will guide you through USDA approved safe methods. Great gift ideas will be offered.
    Tuesday, 08/17/10, 7:00 PM-9:00 PM

To Register, Go to http://webapp.northampton.edu/course-search/default.aspx
    and type in "freezing" or "canning" for the search terms.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCC Summer Non-credit courses