Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksprairie_gw

propane burner for outdoor canning

KSprairie
10 years ago

I am looking at propane burners so I can move most of my canning outdoors this summer.
I have searched the forum and not found recommendations of what brand and type you like to use. I apologize if it is talked about somewhere and I couldn't find it!
I would appreciate advice before I make a purchase.
What diameter burner works best (for both BWB and Pressure canning), BTU, material (cast iron, stainless), etc.
Thank you!

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Many options so do you have a price range in mind? Need single or double burner? With legs/stand or for tabletop use? Already have the propane tanks and regulators or will have to buy separately?

This is the one I use. It is also available as a single burner (I started with it) for about $40.

Dave

• dgkritch
    10 years ago

I use the 2-burner in the link.
    Works great. As a Master Food Preserver I help teach a tuna canning class outdoors in the fall and we've had 9 of these and 18 pressure canners going all at once.

Definitely something to see, hear, and smell!
    :-)

Deanna

Here is a link that might be useful: Stansport Stove

• KSprairie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Dave and Deanna for you input and links. I see that both of you use a two burner (each 35,000 BTU burners). I have looked at several that were 15,000 BTU and were quite a bit cheaper, but didn't know if those would be able to do the job. I don't want to get something that is not going to function the way I need it to. I am thinking I will not need a stand and will use it on a table. I already have one tank and regulator. I am debating whether to go single or double burner. I think double would be best. The base of my BWB canner is about 13" in diameter. Price range - well I was hoping for under $50, but looks like I'll have to spend a bit more.
    Thanks for the tips!

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Keep in mind that 12,000 BTUs is the max recommended for most all the pressure canners. So even though ours have more BTUs we don't use them at full power ever. Both Deanna's and my model have infinte control settings and that is what is important. That is the issue with many of the fish fryer burners for sale - very limited flame control.

The single burner that I started with, the $40 one at the same link I posted above is basically the diameter of my Presto 23 qt canner - fits perfectly. It also has infinite controls plus 3 separate burners in the ring for even more control. I was quite happy with it and only moved up to the double so I could have 2 PCs going at the same time.

But with it you will need to purchase the regular separately for another $12-15. And you will need some sort of heat shield for underneath it for the table top.

Dave

• KSprairie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave - Thanks so much for the insight. This information is going to be very helpful. I am going to do a bit of checking at our farm supply stores and see if what they have is comparable in quality and price. I think a single burner like you started with would be a great one for what I need. Good price, well made, etc. I think that I will really like moving the canning outdoors, but I guess that still remains to be seen!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living