Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Korean Red Pepper Powder

Posted by doku 7a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 1:38

Hi there!

I was just wondering if anyone happens to know what kind of peppers to use to make Korean red pepper powder/flakes? I've bought so many kinds of peppers! The reason I'm asking here, is because I was looking up something on making paprika at home & an article popped up on this forum (in this section), and I figured someone may know what kind of peppers make at least something similar to Korean red pepper flakes/powder. :)

Alrighty, thank you! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Korean Red Pepper Powder

Check out this one. Closest one I could find.

Dave

o

• Posted by doku 7a (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 10:51

Hi Dave :)

First of all, thank you for responding! :) I do appreciate it. :)

I have actually tried those peppers & they weren't so great. I've also tried the Inchanga chilies, Korean Maraca, "Good Choice" chili, etc.. I was trying to find something that was not a hybrid, because kimchi was made for probably a thousand years if not more without the use of hybrid peppers, I don't get why now all of a sudden they all have to be hybrids. There has to be an heirloom that's used. You know what I mean?

Anywho, I do appreciate you responding, but unfortunately, the kimchi pepper is not where it's at.

o

I "think" - just my interpretation - from the reading I did, that the problem is getting the seeds from Korea pepper growers. Several sites talk about both access and agricultural practices that restrict both the export and the import of OP seeds from Korea and offer that as one explanation for why the focus has shifted to the various Thai hot peppers instead for use in kimchee.

Given the difficulty getting the seeds (one site I found offers them for $250 per oz. plus shipping) the hybrids are probably a result of hybridizers in other countries trying to come as close as possible to the originals.

Have you tried asking over on the Hot Peppers Forum? Some of the regulars there are really knowledgeable.

Dave

o

Here's a few that might fit the bill:

Chi Chien

Szechwan

Japones

Another possibility would be a de Arbol type pepper, which you might be able to find in your local grocery store.

Good luck in your search!

Rick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here