Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nesco roaster 4228-19?

Posted by ajsmama (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 25, 11 at 8:10

I am meeting someone in town today who has an 18-qt roaster with porcelain on steel well, and rack, no manual, for $20. I figured this might be an older model but manual online looks the same for every model. Might not be able to find replacement cookwell for it, and buffet set (3 pans in a "frame") says it doesn't fit this model but still worth $20? Seller says no rust or chips on cookwell, a few chips on outer case.

Is there anything that should warn me away from buying this? I know Annie uses one for apple butter, I don't know if "roasting" is really roasting in this or if it's more like a slow cooker (though a big one!). Slow cookers only get to about 300F on High, this can be turned up to 450F (if it's accurate). TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nesco roaster 4228-19?

Well, I have a GE roaster oven model # 169221 and it certainly has its uses, but for making Roasted Vegetable Pasta Sauce I would use my Black & Decker countertop convection oven/broiler.

You will need a cookwell or a cooking pan (as GE calls it). I buy those aluminum foil disposable pans at Walmart to use in mine.

From the GE manual:

Meats roasted in your Roaster Oven will be moist and tender. For additional browning, brush oil or butter over the meat before cooking.

To create a darker roasted, crisper skin on poultry, do not add liquids (with the exception of the basting butter or oil) until there are only 30 minutes left of cooking.

I use the convection oven/broiler 30 or 40 times more often than the roaster. Most of my cooking is done out on my deck.

So.... for $20 I would get it.

o

IMO $20 is too high given that you can buy a new ones, complete with all the extras for $20 more. amazon has several models listed in the $40 range.

Dave

o

Darn, Dave, I already bought it! I was looking on Nesco site and cheapest I saw was $80. I'll have to go look at Amazon just to rub it in...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here