Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

Do I need to dump my turkey stock

pixie_lou
12 years ago

I'm pretty sure I do. When I made it, I put about an inch of shredded turkey in the bottom of each quart of stock. But then I processed for stock time. Because of the meat in the jars - I should have processed for meat time. Right?

Since I only processed for 25 minutes (broth time) instead of 90 minutes (meat time) - I need to dump this stock. Right?

Yes - tell me what I don't want to hear. I need to dump the jars.

Comments (9)

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

The jars as canned are not safe!

However, if you canned in the last 24 hours, you can reprocess for the correct time with new lids.

Reheat the broth and meat to boiling, then refill cleaned jars, use new lids and process according to the meat time.

Deanna

• pqtex
    12 years ago

According to the instructions from NCHFP for Chicken or Turkey Stock:

"Place large carcass bones with most of meat removed in a large stockpot, add enough water to cover bones, cover pot, and simmer 30 to 45 minutes or until remaining attached meat can be easily stripped from bones. Remove bones and pieces, cool broth, strip meat, discard excess fat, and return meat trimmings to broth. Reheat to boiling and fill jars, leaving 1-inch headspace" Quart processing time is 25 minutes.

Did you add additional meat to what was left on the carcass? If not, then you are okay.

Here is a link that might be useful: chicken or turkey stock

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The Ball Complete Book says to strain the stock (thru cheesecloth) to remove all solids, cool the stock to skim all the fat, then can. But NCHFP says you can return the meat solids to the broth.

Yes - this was the meat that came off the bones when I boiled the turkey carcass to make the stock.

Hmmmm - which instructions do I believe?

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

As long as you meet the NCHFP guidelines there is no problem. And I sure wouldn't dump it. It isn't like you are going to drink it right out of the jar anyway. It will be cooked before consuming so you are covered either way.

The Ball Complete Book has a few other differences in it too but in this case I think it all depends on what the actual goal of the recipe was - straight stock/broth - or meaty stock. Plus how much actual meat was added vs. liquid would also influence processing time.

In other words if your goal was to can turkey (in stock) then you'd use the meat times. If the goal was turkey stock (with some meat in it) then use the stock time. See what I mean?

Dave

• pqtex
    12 years ago

Since you canned it with only the meat that boiled off the carcass, and didn't add additional meat, you're good to go. On rare occasions, I want a clear stock and will strain out all the meat and not return it to the stock, but most of the time I return the meat to the stock as instructed, and then process for 25 minutes for quarts. Your stock is fine.

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK. Thanks for the input. I must have followed the NCHFP instructions when I made the turkey stock this winter. But now that I have a bunch of chicken bones in my freezer, I was planning on making a big batch of chicken stock - and I pulled out my Ball Book to read up on it. This was when I freaked out about the clear broth. And wondering how I could have been so stupid to miss that point.

I remember pulling the tiny bits of meat off the bones. Then I divided the meat between the jars - I ended up with less than an inch of meat in each jar.

I'm so glad that I asked this and got clarification. I was almost crying at the prospect of dumping these jars.

• Kathy F
    12 years ago

pixie_lou - having to dump turkey stock would have me crying too. My husband gets very little of the turkey soup I make, it's like gold to me. As holidays approach, I start asking friends if they will be using the leftover turkey carcasses from their dinners in hopes of scoring one or two extras, just so I can make more soup! :)

Kathy

• jolj
    12 years ago

This is all new to me.
    We freeze what little is left.
    So why can?
    Is it more fun or because the canned stock will last when you have no power?
    What are the NCHFP guide lines or where can I get them?

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

National Center for Home Food Preservation -

Here is a link that might be useful: Here:

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm