Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning Strawberry Glaze

Posted by trudyjean82 z8SWGA (trudyjean82@hotmail.com) on
Sun, Apr 1, 07 at 10:47

Has anyone ever done this? Strawberry pickin season is here, last year I dryed a bunch and made plenty of jelly but this year I'd like to make some of the glaze you put on top of cheesecake for use when berry season is over. Is this doable? If so can someone share a recipe and instructions on what method would be best. Thanks for your input. trudyjean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning Strawberry Glaze

Hi trudyjean,

A strawberry glaze would be essentially the same as a thickened strawberry pie filling and a lot of the same criteria apply. Here's a thread we ran last year which gives you a good sense of the issues and the options.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberry Pie Filling?

o

Thanks Carol. I'll check it out. trudyjean

o

How about making a traditional no-pectin preserve and just not taking it all the way to the jell point?

o

Actually, you may want a soft gel point as it would help to hold the whole berries on the object. A syrup would not work well, neither would regular gelatin. Also, a small amount of Clear Jel could be used if you concerned about excessive sugar, and you can control the amount of starch used to get to the consistancy you wish.

o

Here is a recipe for strawberry topping which should work. It is from Linda Amendt's book "Blue Ribbon Preserves"

Strawberry Topping

Makes about 4 half-pint jars or 2 pint jars

5 cups hulled and sliced fresh strawberries
1-1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons strained fresh lemon juice

In a 3 quart saucepan, combine sugar and water. Over low heat, stirring constantly, heat until sugar is completely dissolved. Stir in the crushed strawberries. Increase heat to med high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Stir in the remaining strawberries and lemon juice. Simmer, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat. Ladle strawberry topping into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Using plastic knife, remove any trapped air bubbles. Wipe the jar rims and threads with clean, damp cloth. Cover with hot lids, apply screw rings. Process half pint jars in 200 degree hot water bath for 10 minutes, pint jars for 15 minutes.

o

I took some strawberry juice and simply bottled it and preserved it. no trouble at all. Later I can open a jar and use it in a recipe. Because the strawberry juice is so liquid, it will heat up uniformally and fast. If you thicken the juice and then can it you will need more processing time.

o

Now that I think of it (thanks to Katheryn's reminder) Linda Amendt has a strawberry syrup recipe which would also make a wonderful glaze; it has a very intense strawberry flavor, is clear and gorgeous in color.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here