Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okie_girlgardener

Canned Black Beans

okie-girlgardener
14 years ago

I've been wanting to can some black beans but haven't been able to find the "How To" in the Complete Ball Book... Is there a procedure in there that I could use?

Thanks!

Jennie

Comments (8)

• gardensewer
    14 years ago

I don't think the directions are in the Ball Complete, but they are in the blue book or on the center for canning site. Here is the site
    http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_04/beans_peas_shelled.html
    I can dried beans and love the convenience of having them ready and not having to soak and cook when I need them. One thing I learned though, don't fill the jar too full of beans before putting in the water. I put too much in a few jars and they swell a lot as you can them.

• gardensewer
    14 years ago

Opps, I put the web site in the wrong place. Not sure what I did but it didn't do what I thought.

Here is a link that might be useful: National Center for Home Food Preservation site for dried beans

• okie-girlgardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you! That's the same reason I'm wanting to can them... A little more convenience!

• readinglady
    14 years ago

Dried beans are among the most challenging of products to process because the beans can soak up liquid in the jar during processing.

Unfortunately, while the NCHFP and Ball do provide instructions on the correct processing time, I don't think they're sufficiently clear on how to achieve the best results. A few additional tips would help.

I recommend you read this earlier thread before you can the black beans. It might spare you some frustration.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Canned Dried Beans and Lost Liquid

• gardensewer
    14 years ago

Yes, canning dry beans are more challenging than green beans, that is for sure. The beans vs liquid has been a problem for me too. I put too many beans and not enough water in the jar and the top 1 inch of beans in some jars were dry, not covered by liquid, after finishing canning them. So much depends on the dryness of the beans, how hydrated they were before cooking etc. Practice makes perfect. I would recommend not making a huge batch to start and make small batches till you get the hang of it. I like the idea of one response in the link that says to fill the jar only 3/4 full with beans and top with water. The directions don't say to separate out the beans and liquid but that would help make canning them more successful.

• bejay9_10
    14 years ago

I've tried pinto, black, red and lentils - using the recipe for canning "dried beans."

They all worked well except for the lentils. They mushed up and took on a bad appearance on top, black with an oil-like substance. We decided not to eat them.

All of the others turned out quite well, and we have enjoyed them so many ways. It's a great way to have quick meals and one of the great recipes in the Ball Book.

As previous posts remark, don't overfill the jars - I now only fill to the curve of the jar level. My preference is for the black and red beans in recipes, and especially nice in making a really great chili and beans. I also can my own enchilada sauce - which when combined with the beans, some browned meat and onions, turns into a nice dish - especially on cold days. I usually put it all in a crock pot, and serve some home-made sourdough bread with it.

Bejay

• James McNulty
    14 years ago

A "scant" less than 1/2 cup of dried black beans per pint. Hydrate in jars.
    Experiment by using a little less than you think you should. Black beans absorb a lot of water. Better to have the beans floating in a little extra water than having to deal with a "block o' beans" in an over-packed jar.
    Jim in So Calif

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

Dried beans are supposed to be a hot packed food, not a raw packed food. You can do as you want, of course, but the safe guidelines are to rehydrate, then bring to a boil and pack hot into the jars.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning dried beans.